79 Merc 70 hard starting

Trash

Recruit
Newbee here. I would like some true and tested starting procedures. This Motor runs fine once started. I have Electronic Ingnition. Dumped old fuel. Got non oxinated 93 rated fuel/oil mix. Mixed to specs. Used bulb to prime. Bulb didn't go solid as in the past. I only filled 6 Gallon tank with 3 Gallons. Temp was near 70F. Used Battery charger to help get going. At this temperature with choke off it eventually fired. I have lever to set Choke along with Throtle. Ontop of Ignition box is a small button called Choke. Anyone else have this setup and what works for you to get things running well? Thanks in advance.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: 79 Merc 70 hard starting

Welcome to iboats Trash!
I don't have the same setup, but the bulb not getting firm could be an indication of the problem.
Why didn't you use the choke to start it?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

starting procedure. open vent on tank, connect fuel lines, make sure arrow on bulb is pointing toward the engine. pump bulb until firm( if it won't firm up, could be check valve in bulb, or that the float needle valve in the carbs is not sealing.) raise idle lever completely, hold choke button, turn the engine over with the key 3-5 times, repump bulb. repeat. whe cold these engines are gas hungry. 3rd try don't not choke. if it hasn't started time to start investiagating why.

Trash

Recruit

Thanks for your help. I now understand what the controls do. Daddy, your startup list went good. I didn't know wether there was too much fuel, or too little. Squeezing the bulb extra did help. Trouble is that the starter just died. I assume it's just under the flywheel. Replacing this unit, should I also replace the spring and gear while at it? Thanks for any advice.
Trash