Could this be a good project boat?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Could this be a good project boat?

Hardly even looks like a project! Just slap a lower unit on it and go!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thats what i was thinking,the guy says it runs fine and shifts but leaks gear oil.The trim is not working.The old boat looks pretty good for its age.
I think the hull will clean up.If i can get it for 1000 or less i may go for it..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you better bet me to it. just got back from NC, if i had seen it, it would have come home with me. the trailer is worth the $650. and it's a Chris Craft, no wood. you may be able to sand blast the lower, and put new seals in it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I was thinking the same thing about sand blasting it.Can get that done free at work.The guy who has it really does not sound like he knows much about it.He said it needs replaced from sitting in the water a couple years.I might try to get time to go look at it in the next day or so..
I think those old Chris Crafts are solid boats..

tommays

Admiral

I think you need to go in with the idea that the LOWER is NOT comeing apart without breaking and that it will take a lot of torch wrench to even get it off

EVEN to just put in a new water pump

The boat and trailer look nice

Tommays

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I also considered that.The bolts would surely break off. Also part of the upper housing looks pretty bad. Its a shame the thing runs and is in that condition. NADA on the boat only,no trailer or engine is around 1500.

tashasdaddy

you are going to talk me into another 1,000 mile trip to N.C.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I hear ya TD, The guy emailed me back and is tossing around a 1600 dollar figure.Thats more than i want to pay for it..Guess i'll watch the auction for a couple days and see how it goes.
Hey if you buy it do i get a finders fee??:D :D

tashasdaddy

Gary, i'm boat poor this and next month. toy budget is over drawn.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Could you please pull the trigger on something and quit tempting us to drive over there and snype one from you? :eek: :D

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

When you look at the boat, do you daydream about having her on the water? Do you think about what other people will think when they look at her. Do you daydream about the projected repairs you will do to her? Do you scour catalogs looking for running gear? If so, then it's a good project boat.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Yes to all of the above. I like the looks of the old boat.
Another boat to sit in and think of what it needs while parked in the back yard..
I'm running out of things to do to my Starcraft..it runs great and everything works.:D

tashasdaddy

Frank, you hit the addiction, square on the head. good description.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yep! Been there, done that, bought the Tee shirt and I am still wearing it. I went so far as to print up Tee shirts with the photo, name and home port of my main squeeze, 21 foot Amanda Ford. -- All dressed out in her white canvas and Bimini. I have six boats; three are projects.
When My wife objects, I tell her "Some men ride other women--I ride boats." They really do call to me. When I see one with a shapely hull and transom, I can't resist. I do, however, try to keep them all blue so hopefully the better half won't notice the new addition for a little while.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Still dreaming about this one......oh i want it!
Talked to the seller again,he said 1500 cash and he would end the auction early.My toy budget is about 500 less this month..:( been buying too much stuff for my Starcraft the last couple months.
The wheels are turning in my head now...:rolleyes: