question about wax - is it OK to use?

awalkertx

Cadet
howdy - brand new boat owner here. it's 10 years old but has been stored in a slip on a lift all it's life, so the gel coat is like new. was wondering if there is a wax or something UV resistant I can put on the hull to help clean/protect/shine it? I searched the whole forum and don't see the word wax anywhere. I'm a new boat owner and have no clue if you can polish this thing. Thanks for any input you can provide!
Adam

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: question about wax - is it OK to use?

Hello. Not only can you polish it, you should at least once every season if you want to keep that gelcoat shiny. Keep in mind that polish and wax are different. 3M makes a great polish, and lot of people make great wax. Get yourself an good orbital polisher (not one of those waxers) and have at it!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I wax my boat about once a week when in use in the salt. I just do the top side, not the hull. It really helps to keep the shiny stuff shiny and keep corrossion down. It also really helps when hosing the boat off, the wax makes the water bead and roll off easy, taking the salt deposits with it. Of course, washing with soap takes the wax off, so I generally just hose it down.

There are boat specific waxes, but I use automotive Turtle Wax on the boat. So far, so good, and I don't have to buy additional special waxes.

Meguiars makes a "boat/RV" wax that sells for a ridiculous $14.50 for a 16 oz bottle. :eek: Turtle wax is less than $3.00 for a 14 oz bottle.

Mark.

awalkertx

Cadet

sweet! at this point it doesn't need to be polished - but i am certain that the hull hasn't been waxed in some time. what can i use? any automotive wax with UV protection? thanks!

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

No, use marine wax. You'll have several choices. Make sure you do not get a "cleaner wax". Just straight up wax...

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Last thing, while auto wax will work, it will not protect as long as wax that is made for gelcoat and would have to be applied more often. With me, it's about time. I'd rather wax twice a season than every week...

Hey, we've got a lot of flags going here! Of course, TX is bigger...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Last thing, while auto wax will work, it will not protect as long as wax that is made for gelcoat and would have to be applied more often. With me, it's about time. I'd rather wax twice a season than every week...

Well, I really do have to respectfully disagree with your statements. Auto wax will work very well. It also sticks to plastic surfaces like gel coat just as well as to paint and all the stainless and aluminum parts on cars and boats. Regarding the frequency of waxing, I just wax weekly because I can, not because it needs it.

Bottom line is auto wax will work fine. If you want to spend more money on products that are mostly carnuba wax (as are almost all car and boat waxes) just because it says "boat" or "marine" go right ahead.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

No need to get spunky...we can disagree. You're right, auto wax will work both very well and fine. But marine wax will work better. There are different chemicals used for waxes intended for specific substrates. I'm only telling him what I learned from posing a similar question to 3M throught their web site. My marine wax (3M) has no carnuba in it at all. It's polymer chemistry my friend...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've used the Turtle for 40 years, never had a problem, although i prefer the paste.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

If your gelcoat is in great original shape which it sounds like it is,then the absolute best thing to use is a wax or polish with silicone in it.This is what is recommended in just about every owners manual when it comes to caring for gelcoat.The silicone adds moisture to the gelcoat and actually fortifies it.Gelcoat that is worn or oxidized or over worked is another story.Charlie

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I use turtle wax on all kinds of things with great results. See no reason to change now.

awalkertx

Cadet

Hey, we've got a lot of flags going here! Of course, TX is bigger...

hahaha! that's right... i lived in west ashley from 2001 to 2003, and i have to say that charleston is a close second in my heart. awesome place... cant tell you how much fun i had on folley beach, downtown, etc... miss wild wings.

awalkertx

Cadet

charlie - gel coat is in mint shape all except for the transom below the chrome (which got hit by the afternoon sun for the past 10 years). any suggestions for that part of the boat? it's really not bad at all, but the blue stripe is slightly faded and the coat isn't quite as glossy. thanks everyone for all for your help!
adam

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Way back when--When I got my first boat, I used Fantastic spray to clean and Pledge spray to wax. Spray on--wipe off. I was a little nuts and did it every week, but it only took an hour. Now, I wash and wax once every ten years whether it needs it or not.

Bay-185

Cadet

Why no cleaner wax ? Is it bad for the gel coat or something?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Cleaner wax is OK to use, but polish followed by real wax works better. In this case, he didn't need to polish. Cleaner waxes are harder to buff off. It is far less work and you'll get better results with a polish and regular wax.

wcsparky05

Petty Officer 1st Class

tex, get an oxidizer at your local marine store for the faded part of your boat. you will be pleasantly surprised by the color that comes back. maguires sells a 3 pack oxidizer/wax/protectant for about 15 bucks. will last at least 3-4 seasons.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It takes me a good full day to wax just the top side so using car wax and doing it every week isn't an option. I tried several but the only wax that I found that will hold up for the entire season is Collinite.

I apply a base coat at the beginning of the season and apply a second coat 2 weeks later and forget about it until the next year.

Collinite is expensive but what's your time worth? In my case the difference is about 15 minutes of my time a year.