older boats

bobo29

Recruit
i have a 1974 monark 14' and the max motor is 55hp.i know older motors weighed a lot more back then,what would be compatable in todays market in weight and can the plate be change to a higher hp.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: older boats

You can change the plate to 2,000 hp but it will not change what it is capable of. Check the weights of motors the same age and go from there. You are only as good as your transom !!!

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

bobo29 said:
.i know older motors weighed a lot more back then,

Not always so ....

Many of the newer engines (especially the 4-strokes) weigh a whole lot more than the older ones.....in a similiar HP range...

Thanks for reading, Chuck

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

officially the plates cannot be changed, have an incident, a good lawyer will have everything you own.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Generally speaking the older motors actually weighed less.Basic 2 cyl. 50 hp in 74 was 193 lbs. Newer same basic motors around 197 lbs. Etec 50 are about 240 lbs.In 74 motors were rated at the crank so power at the prop was 6 or 8% less. in about 85 it was changed to at the prop.So if you by a 85 or newer motor at least it will be actual horspower at the prop.So you gain that 6-8% at the prop you never would have in 74.Your still stuck with 55hp but at least its really 55 hp.

I have a 1981 Gator Bass Boat built in Bozzier City Louisana, powered by a 135 Johnson 1976. The motor was rebuilt years ago, it set up for 8 years and the nthe kids wanted to do something to her. Well i told them if it would crank then we would tinker with her. This year she has been running for 3 years, and dnow have decided to have her restored. The trim and tilt was removed account couldn't keep the motor and trim cylinders from leaking as well as the trim wouldn't stay in the full trim under full power, this has been a on going problem for the last several years. Like I said,she is getting restored as we speak, question I have, should we put on the CMC-130 trim and tilt and will it fit and provide years of trouble free service.The boat getting new gel coat, carpet, clear coat, and wiring with gauges, new bilge and live well pump, the trailer getting restored also.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

cmc has been in business before johnson put t & t on motors. +- 50years. the have a great product. yes it will fit your rig.