dhadley help pls on 1986 140 evinrude

okam

Seaman
I posted a while ago on changing the carbs on a 140hp 1986, I installed the 1995 130 cabs and bodies and fit perfect. I left the jetting the same as the the new carbs. My question is I'm having trouble with a cold start, The solenoid works but I have to add more fuel with the box off to get it to start. After it starts it response to the choke till it warms up, after that just touch the key. Any idea's. Thanks for any thought in advance. It has Boyseen reeds, I did not richen the idle jets but it is not spitting back, I adjusted the idle screws for a smooth idle

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: dhadley help pls on 1986 140 evinrude

Make sure you pump the bulb first. Once the system has pressure in it the primer can release fuel into the motor. Pump the bulb and then turn the key to the "on" position and push the key in. That will activate the primer. You should hear a "click".

If you don't hear the "click" then we need to find out why the primer isn't being activated by the key. If you do hear the click, carefully pull one of the hoses off - either at the carb end or off the primer - and make sure fuel is squirting out when the system has pressure and the key is pushed in. Remember, once the pressure is released no more fuel will squirt.

When trying to start a cold motor, pump the bulb - activate the primer for a 6 count - then activate the starter. On a 1985 model you should give it a little throttle since you don't have Quick Start.

okam

Seaman

Thanks for the response dhadley, I did the check on the solinoid and it clicks, and pulled 1 hose off the carb and it does squrit out. the bulb is also firm. The plugs are QL77JC4 champions gapped @ .040. Do you think that the nipples going into the carb manafolds are blocked preventing the fuel to enter from the solenoid? If I spray mix in the carbs with the air bow off it fires right up. Any other thought freom anyone appreciated.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yes, that would be my next thing to check. If we have fuel to the nipple, we need to verify it's going in. I'd almost bet you've found the problem. It's hard to imagine all the nipples are clogged but things are sure heading that way.

Could be something simple too. My 110 gave me trouble when I installed a new gas tank. Turned out the new take wasn't vented properly. Got that straight and I was good to go. Be sure the gas tank isn't sealed to prevent air getting in.

okam

Seaman

Thanks for the replies, the fuel tank vent lines filter/seperator have all been check and are good to go. I started the motor last night with the same problem, I pushed in the choke primer and the engine started to bog down on a rich mixture. Blew thru all carb primer nipples and they were clear. One thought I had was should I use the 130 intake manifold to complete this even if the trottle bodies and carbs fit the 140.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You can use either manifold, it doesn't matter.

Describe exactly your starting steps.

okam

Seaman

Dhadley, Pump bulb till firm, turn key to on and push in key to activate primer to a count 5-6, raise cold start lever about half way and turn key, crank about 10-15 seconds, then repeat choke and cranking. after that close warm up lever try again, after that more choke and lever all the way up. The other carbs would start on the first sequence with little warm up lever, would kick over and than hit primer several times until smooth idle. thanks for the help8)

reeldutch

Lieutenant

may be you used the wrong gasket from the carbs to the intake manifold. and its blocking the prime.
what happens if you spray some premix manualy into the carbs and crank it over?
it should fire up, indicating there is a fuel delivery problem.

it might not suck enough fuel in.
did you set your floats correctly?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

After you add fuel and it starts and warms up, does it idle OK? Or does it spit back or pop? Or do anything odd?

okam

Seaman

After it starts, no spit backs and a idle that is smoother than anything before. stop motor for 15 minutes, touch the key and a perfect idle. I,m starting to think I'll put new plugs and gap and see what happens. Again new coils 7/16 bright blue spark. Ihave not change plugs since getting everything worked out. What would the result of a change in th gap be. Smaller gap colder start/running temp? Thanks for the following thru, I know I'm close to solving this.

okam

Seaman

okam said:
After it starts, no spit backs and a idle that is smoother than anything before. stop motor for 15 minutes, touch the key and a perfect idle. I,m starting to think I'll put new plugs and gap and see what happens. Again new coils 7/16 bright blue spark. Ihave not change plugs since getting everything worked out. What would the result of a change in th gap be. Smaller gap colder start/running temp? Thanks for the following thru, I know I'm close to solving this.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

reeldutch has a good point,ive seen it happen at my shop.the older style butterfly choke gaskets didnt have the hole for the primer

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Doesn't count on the looper. A looper injects right into the reed area, different that the crossflow. If the nipple was plugged it wouldn't respond after the motor was running.

Since it does respond after the motor is running, and he pressured the system and verified that it is indeed squirting, we have to assume that it isn't squirting enough.

On the next cold start pump the bulb, push the key in (while in the On position - no starter) for your 8 count, then pump the bulb again and hit the primer for another 8 count. Then hit the starter.

Another variable is indeed the plugs. Let's get new ones (the QL77JC4's are fine) and try it again like you mentioned.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

does the motor spin fast enough?
about 300rpm i believe to start up.

how about cranking the motor when cold, check for spark with the plugs in.

may be the magnets are weak. and not producing enough volts at cranking speed.
check stator output at cranking speed.

okam

Seaman

Dhadley said:
Doesn't count on the looper. A looper injects right into the reed area, different that the crossflow. If the nipple was plugged it wouldn't respond after the motor was running.

Since it does respond after the motor is running, and he pressured the system and verified that it is indeed squirting, we have to assume that it isn't squirting enough.

On the next cold start pump the bulb, push the key in (while in the On position - no starter) for your 8 count, then pump the bulb again and hit the primer for another 8 count. Then hit the starter.

Another variable is indeed the plugs. Let's get new ones (the QL77JC4's are fine) and try it again like you mentioned.

okam

Seaman

I'll try that this weekend and post back I appreiciate the help thanks again. This is close to being solved, I think I spend too much time on the on the hard problems not on the common sense ones.

okam

Seaman

What is the best method for testing the magnets pull, aany ideas. These are original in the flywheel. Thanks again for the thoughts.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Well, here's my thoughts -- and please feel free to disagree. If it didn't spin over fast enough (350 rpm) then it wouldn't matter if you squirted fuel in or not. You say it starts right up if you bottle feed it.

The motor has no way to know where the fuel comes from to start. All it knows is if it has enough or not. It doesn't care how it gets it.

New plugs fire easier and stronger than old ones. Lets see what that does.

okam

Seaman

The starter is rebuild 6 months ago. the boat has 2 - 750 amp batteries. 1 is brand new second is 1 year old both fully charged with a 2 amp atuo change. It did not matter battery #1 or bat# 2 or both to get the cranking rpm I,d have to get a hand held I guess, but the motor spins fast. Is it possible I have a voltage drop under compression with the starter that would lower the voltage to the power pack?