CRACKED BLOCK:O

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: CRACKED BLOCK:O

I have a 3.0l lx mercruiser alpha one 4cylinder does anyone know of any ford ,buick or gm motors I can interchange with . Thanks James

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

No. Sorry. The 3 liter was / is used in industrial applications and apparently in some Jeeps - like mail carrier Jeeps - or so the rumor goes. Bottom line - it is more likely to find one on ebay or something similiar than in the local salvage yard.

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

I had heard that a buick v6 may work ,or possibly a gm 4cylinder or iron duke. butt not able to find any specs or concrete evidence they would work . just people talking .isnt there somewhere that shows you motore that would interchange.

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

block says " GM " on the side something must work.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You might as well stick the the 3.0L engine. Either find a short block, a long block or a complete engine.
If you try to use a V6 or V8, you will need to change the gears in the drive to a different ratio (No, changing props won't work) then you would also have to find a Y pipe for the V type engines to replace the single pipe the 3.0 has. Then, you run into motor mounts. The 3.0 has a front mount, where the V engines have side mounts. You may not have stringers in the right place for them.
Then you get into rather the engine cover will fit over a bigger engine or not.
It just goes on and on. and when you are not familiar with all that has to be changed, it really gets to be a mess.

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info don, I will try to look for a 3.0l 4cylinder . would anyone know what 4 cylinders will work.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

That's the one and only. Older versions were 2.5L, but I doubt everything will fit. You'll waste time and money trying to make anything else work. Next year, winterize it. It'll save you a few grand. :(

No guarantees, but sometimes the only cracks are external and can be epoxied on 3Ls. If it were a V-6 or V-8, there would be no hope. The best product is called Marine-Tex. JB Weld works too, but it's runny and not as strong. You'll need to grind the paint off to bare metal. Might be worth a try.

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the help, a friend gave me the boat with the bad motor cause he didnt winterize like you said! he went for the spring tune up, 2yrs ago . when it wouldnt start and they advised him him should of come for the fall winterizing first . ohh well trying to find a motor at local j-yard . I will look again for cracks on the block havent seen any yet. only thing I have seen is milky oil:'(

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Milky oil is usually a death sentence. Sorry. But maybe just a cracked head. That would do it too. The block still may have survived. But if there's no sign of a crack outside, it cracked inside. They usually crack outside just under the manifold, under the head.

car5car

Seaman

WillyBWright said:
Milky oil is usually a death sentence.
Wrong! Remove head and look for crack. It could be just gasket. Pay somebody for diagnosis (car mechanic) if you cannot find problem. Talk to engine guys in machine shop. Pay them 10 doll for consultation. Find crack and take a pic. Post picture. I have glued couple engines, no big deal. Good luck.

Don S

car5car said:
Wrong! Remove head and look for crack. It could be just gasket. Pay somebody for diagnosis (car mechanic)

You gotta be kidding. Why would you pay a car mechanic that probably doesn't have a flippin' clue about a marine engine.
Why not pay a marine mechanic to find out. You know one that understands the cooling system? Winterization, freezing blocks and all that stuff.

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

the miilky oil happened over the winter . so it would have to of come from freezing. I will be doing most the work . except any machining of course.will keep looking for crack .next weekend i should be able to do a little dissasembling

Don S

James, water leaking into the oil will NOT make the oil milky. The engine oil pump squeezing the oil and water together emulsifining (sp) it is what causes it to get milky looking.
If water just leaked in after the block cracked and the ice melted, there would be a layer of water under the oil.

Riggy

Seaman Apprentice

Willy you nailed that one..just looked cracked under the manifold.cant take a picture tonight tommorow i can.

car5car

Seaman

Don said:
car5car said:
Wrong! Remove head and look for crack. It could be just gasket. Pay somebody for diagnosis (car mechanic)

You gotta be kidding. Why would you pay a car mechanic that probably doesn't have a flippin' clue about a marine engine.
Why not pay a marine mechanic to find out. You know one that understands the cooling system? Winterization, freezing blocks and all that stuff.
You are right. Marine mechanic would be better.

8x56mn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seems like I remember Bondo had a nice shiny rebuilt 3.0 just sitting around waiting for someone to take it of his hands.

Bondo

Staff member

8x56mn said:
Seems like I remember Bondo had a nice shiny rebuilt 3.0 just sitting around waiting for someone to take it of his hands.

"Had" s the Key Word of your post 8X56,........

And, it was a Nice Newer Low Hours Take-out, Not Rebuilt.....

Last summer a local Marine Mechanic bought Both the 3.0l,+ the older, 140hp motors I had kicking around,.......

Both for the Dollar$ I was looking for Too..............

Timing was Impeccable as well,......

The Funds paid for the Houseboat("Mom's Paycheck"), the Rebuild of the Drives on the Mom's Paycheck,+ the Transportation of the Mom's Paycheck, to it's New Home..............:love:

Back to Topic,........
would anyone know what 4 cylinders will work.

Ayuh,........

Any of the "GM" 4 cylinders that was used by Mercruiser, OMC,+ Volvo, from the mid-60s thru current dates.........
The Choices are,...... The 3.0l,+ the 2.5l..........
But,...........
ANY of the 3.0ls,+ 2.5ls that were used in Cars or Trucks will NOT Fit,........
They're [colour=red]Totally[/colour] Different Castings............

Bondo

Staff member

180shabah said:
OT

How is the houseboat coming??

She's sitting on Blocks across the river from the house right now...........

100_3473.jpg

The Only Progress going on is,......
I've got the Hatches Off,+ getting ready to Strip,+ Reinforce them with new plywood/ epoxy.........
And,.....
I just picked up the Steel, Axles,+ tires for a Yard Trailer for it..... Hopefully, It'll be Done for the Resplash this Spring..... It's looking like it'll be a 24' bed,+ a total length of about 45', to get it Deep Enough for Launch,+ Retrieving.....