Trailer toung extention???

Kywoodmann

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 24ft pontoon that is on it's orginal single axel trailer. I pull this with a E150 Ford van. I don't have much trouble pulling it ( single axel not the most stable) What I have trouble with is launching it. The toung is so close to the back of the van that when I back it in the lake I have to go back so far that my rear wheels ,and sometime bumper is under water. I have to back in so the boat floats but I don't like having the exhaust and all under water.
Is there some kind of extention I can use to launch with? It doesn't have to be perminate, just needs it to be sturdy.

ky

Kywoodmann

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trailer toung extention???

Thankx trashdaddy....that looks like what I was wanting.

ky

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If you only need a little, these will work too:

hitches4less.com/2recex.htm

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Rick, your address went to the home page. could not find item.

Kywoodmann

Seaman Apprentice

Major mistake on the name...tashasdaddy...sorry bout that

tashasdaddy

i've been call worse, no problem, but don't trash my dog. meet Tasha

MVC-854S.jpg

also it's not a major task to throw another axle under your trailer to help stabilize it. you are probably at or above the max load now.

sumcat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might also consider glide sticks on the bunks. They are sold under various names by Cabelas,Bass Pro,etc.I had a 20' pontoon with a 50hp and could drive it off and on and didn't have to even get my tires wet.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You might also consider glide sticks on the bunks. They are sold under various names by Cabelas,Bass Pro,etc.I had a 20' pontoon with a 50hp and could drive it off and on and didn't have to even get my tires wet.

I'm thinking about those slicks for my trailer. Any negative things about them, other than making sure to keep the winch hook on till you launch???

Kywoodmann

Seaman Apprentice

I'm confused.....by guide sticks do you meen the guides that stick up on the side so you see to load the boat ??Loading and unlaoding is not a problem for me. My wife is the Capt. when it comes to that....and she's good at her job. I have roller guides on the inside of the runners. They pretty well line the boat up. Then the stop at the front....well I feel like I'm preaching to the quire in here.U-guys know a lot more about this stuff than I do.
I'm going to look into this extention to the toung...I think thats what I need...

How much trouble would it be to have another axle put under the trailer? This is a stock Tracker trailer. The kind with the short fat tires.( that are brand new this year)

ky

Kywoodmann

Seaman Apprentice

I read somewhere ( maybe here) that if you strap the back of the boat down to the trailer it will ride better. I was told(another time) that I didn't need to strap it down because of the weight. But there was something about bouncing when being pulled.
\
dunno

ky

I like this site...people don't put you down for not knowing.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yep, strap it down to keep it from bouncing is the purpose. The glide sticks attach to the bunks of the trailer. They are slick and make the toon slide off and on easily. I've heard they do work well. My opinion is that you just need to extend the hitch by a little and all will be fine. There are times depending on where I launch that an extra foot or two hitch length would make alot of difference. As for the extra axle, it might be costly and troublesome. A better way would be to sell yours and buy a tandem axle that's ready to go...

sumcat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glide(not guide)sticks are plastic with teflon embedded and they make the boat slide off the bunks easier. I used them on the front half of my pontoon trailer.Didn't have to put the trailer in the water as far.Just get the stern in the water and the engine would pull it off easily.Same way loading.Be advised that when adding a 2nd axel with brakes you may have to put brakes on the other axel to be legal.My state requires brakes on both axels.

tashasdaddy

mounting the axle depend on how your existing axle is mounted, if it is fixed and not adjustable, i'd go with anothers trailer, if is has the adjustable mounts, i'd just duplicate what you have, move the existing axle forward or back , and add the new axle.

Kywoodmann

Seaman Apprentice

GLIDE STICKS ...see thats what I get for glancing at a word and not really reading it....that makes more sence..

ky

tashasdaddy

another reason for strapping the stean down, is safety. in a quick stop, or crash, that boat not strapped to the trailer, becomes and "unsecured load" in legal terms. thus it could cancel out any insurance claims. ( not using due care). look at this picture, you'd think there is no way this boat will move, and glide sticks make it worse.

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=22;gtid=1219037

Kywoodmann

Seaman Apprentice

GOOD POINT TASHAS 'I've been pulling that boat around for 3 years and stuff like this never crossed my mind. My neighbor is the one that told me not to worry about tying the back down....come to think of it knowing my neighbor I should have been tying it all along. He's one of them "good ole boys" that knows everything. ...you know the type.
So ratchet type tydowns around the toon logs and the bunks tight should do the job??? see I even picked up on the lingo while in here....lol...

thax alot

ky

now if this site had spell check it would be purfectt

tashasdaddy

personally to keep stress off the boat, i would go with a long strap, side to side ove the deck.