My new "toy"

Pony

Rear Admiral
Brought this home a few days ago. Today was an absolutely perfect Fall day to ride around and test it out. The past few days it had been a little rainy, and I didnt want to chance anything.

It is a 2006 model TNG Venice 49.5cc moped. There are a lot of things that I was surprised this little guy had. It has a locking gas cap and under seat storage......which is perfect for a helmet or for other goods. It has a nice little rack on the back to strap things to. I would like to borrow a gps to really see what this thing can do. I drove it to Best Buy (not to work, but to check schedules and buy a few things) and when I was really going, the speedometer was maxed out. I pegged it at 40mph which is the max on the gauge, but I am sure I was going slightly faster. When on even ground I max out at about 38-40mph. I plan to drive it to and from work when weather permits and to and from the girlfriends house. I estimate that in the summer it will save me 2/3 gallons a day if not more. This moped has only 60 some odd original miles (the odometer is in kilometers) on it, and should get me 75+ mpg if not more. After some reading I have learned that some of these rigs can get upwards of 80 to 90mpg.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: My new

I have been seeing more and more of those in my area. I feel bad for the ones that are cruising in the breakdown lane on the highway as vehicles are blowing by at 60+ mph. They are great in-town rigs....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can have some fun on those as long as you avoid traffic and BE SEEN! The old saying watch out for the other guy!

Be safe & enjoy!

Pony

Rear Admiral

Jason here taking that out on the interstate or highyway would be illegal.......I'm surprised it isnt the same for you guys.

I agree with ya Bob. I have a couple of different routes planned out that take the least populated roads. I also plan on driving as if I am "invisible" to everyone else.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Now all you need is motorcycle boots, black leather jacket, leather chaps, and one of those WWII German kraut helmets.

crunch

Commander

Pony said:
Jason here taking that out on the interstate or highyway would be illegal.......I'm surprised it isnt the same for you guys.

I agree with ya Bob. I have a couple of different routes planned out that take the least populated roads. I also plan on driving as if I am "invisible" to everyone else.

And like everyone is out to get you.... (I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough? )

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Don't let it break down in front of the HD plant. BTDT

Good Luck.

Pony

Rear Admiral

lol roscoe, that thought did cross my mind........the girlfriend lives almost directly across the street from the plant in Menomonee Falls.

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

What does the girlfriend think about it when you pull up in front of her house?:%

I wouldn't go to fast on that thing. A quick evasive manuver would be tricky to say the least.:%

I picked up a bike to save on gas. A Honda VTX1800 Retro.8)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

A moped is just like a fat chick, there both alot of fun to ride but you don't won't anyone to know about it!

Seriously- I think its great that you are able to ride this to work. I don't think you will see any money saved after you figure purchase price, ins., etc but its still gerat.

puddle jumper

Captain

It looks like it would be a blast to cruzze around on.Just watch out for cross winds and vacumes caused by big trucks. Thay will catch you off gard.Been there.
pj

Pony

Rear Admiral

Kenneth said:
A moped is just like a fat chick, there both alot of fun to ride but you don't won't anyone to know about it!

Seriously- I think its great that you are able to ride this to work. I don't think you will see any money saved after you figure purchase price, ins., etc but its still gerat.

Normally I'd agree with you, but I bought it for $800, sold a car for $400 (which the moped is replacing). Insurance is $80 a year, and my truck gets 15mpg.........I think I'll see the $ return, just not in the first year or so (hopefully). If I had bought this thing at $1600 retail there would be no way I'd see the return most likely.

Thanks for the tip puddle jumper.

crunch

Commander

Not to put a damper on things... how is your insurance?

Pony

Rear Admiral

Well for starters its only liability. Also the I valued the moped at $800. I am not sure of all the details yet as the policy hasnt come in the mail yet. I just signed for it yesterday. It helps that my family has had this company for 20yrs, and both my parents have spotless records from then, and I too have a perfect record for almost 6 years now. I think I also have a good student discount in there somewhere.

ricksrster

Commander

It neesds a basket, a bell, and rings and things to make it look good!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thats not a moped. Its a scooter. Big difference.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Mark42 said:
Thats not a moped. Its a scooter. Big difference.

Yes Mark there is a Big difference.................and this is still a moped. The "pedal" classification no longer applies. At least in this state. (the definition varies by state) In Wisconsin this is a moped. Maybe different where you are. Here mopeds are defined by engine displacement and allowable passengers....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Pony,

What your state calls it is just for licensing . You should go by the name that the manufacturing, buying and selling insdustry calls them, and that is scooter.

Scooters are head and shoulders above mopeds - (you know, the pedal to start machines with flimsy frames and short life spans). Scooters are fine engineered products that have evolved to their current state of perfection over 50 or 60 years.

I would be insulted (and I'm sure anyone in the industry would be too) if you called my Vespa a moped.

BTW, that is one fine scooter you got there. If any little piece is missing or broken, you should be able to find a supplier on the net. Restoring scooters is quite popular now.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BTW, that is one fine scooter you got there. If any little piece is missing or broken, you should be able to find a supplier on the net. Restoring scooters is quite popular now.

Wait....lemme guess.....iscooters.com HAH!!!!! :p

Pony

Rear Admiral

Mark, thanks for the info......what year is your vespa?

I hope I can find parts if I need them.......I think this little scooter is pretty "foreign".