seafoam

72INVADER90HP

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1996 johnson 90hp and it is missing at WOT and I have replaced the plugs and wires and I need some help on what things to check also I want some opinon on carb cleaner, decarb or seafoam, what is recomended? the carbs have never been rebuilt.
thanks for any input.

Re: seafoam

Use Sea Foam for cleaning the carb.because it has lubricating qualities that Gum-out doesnt. Less likely to do damage in a dry start up.

Also a good "de-carbonizing" or cleaning does wonders. Basically you remove plugs and spray Seafoam (either the spray can or put some in a sprayer bottle) in the plug hole. Get a good amount in there. Replace plugs and let sit overnight. Then when able start her up and run at med. throttle and watch the smoke and gunk fly.

Caution: watch out for environmentalists...(kidding) .. a lot of people just stare when they see ALL the SMOKE and gunk..especially the stuff that the motor jetisons into the water. I do it in a tank at home so that I only have to worry about the neighbors calling the fire dept. 8)

Later..

Having fun...in the sun!!!

Sam

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Ok. This is real simple. Last year I bought an '02 90 hp Merc. Seller said he had recently changed the plugs. Pulling and checking verified him to be telling the truth.

Engine idled poorly but WOT was just fine. Didn't do the full decarb thing, but ran a heavy mixture of Sea Foam in the tank for about 20 gallons now. Problem solved. It works.

From the desk of a technically educated and workaholic boat lover.......it does what it says it will do; besides it says on the can; if you'll ain't happy, send it back; your money will be in the return mail......can't beat that.

Mark

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I'm a real strong advocate of Seafoam, especially when used in the highly concentrated mix in the three gallon tank described in the engine FAQ.

Some of the 1996 Loopers with Optical Ignition require [emphasis added] special plugs and wires. Did you check the parts with a dealer when you changed them?

casi77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used a full can of sea-foam in a 20l gas tank, mixed 50:1.. it made huge improvements in the idle.. seems to cleaned up the engine internals & carb..
i did see a difference!!
recommended.

Xcusme

Commander

Casi77,

Did you mix the full can of Seafoam with gas only? Or did you add the Seafoam to 20l of fuel mix (gas and oil) ??

casi77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i add it to the already mixed gas/oil 50:1 of 20L tank.

Xcusme said:
Casi77,

Did you mix the full can of Seafoam with gas only? Or did you add the Seafoam to 20l of fuel mix (gas and oil) ??

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

found seafoam deepcreep works excellent in decarbing.made my 90 rude new again

casi77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what is your procedure of using deepcreep?

we just spray it in the spark plug holes and let it sit for sometime and run it after?

---> missed Samuel's post.. answer is there.. couple threads up.

cougar1985 said:
found seafoam deepcreep works excellent in decarbing.made my 90 rude new again

excalibur-oc

Seaman

Casi
Did u find seafoam at a local store?
I have looked in CTC, Walmart & Part Source here in Oshawa & have been unable to find it.

Ex

casi77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NAPA sells it, (NAPA Auto Parts) they are all over US & Canada. They also sell boat parts.. you can search the parts numbers online and give it to them, they can order them.

excalibur-oc said:
Casi
Did u find seafoam at a local store?
I have looked in CTC, Walmart & Part Source here in Oshawa & have been unable to find it.

Ex

excalibur-oc

Seaman

Thanks Casi
I've read alot of the threads praising this stuff & I am dieing to try it out.

72INVADER90HP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I want to thank all of you for the reply and I am going to try it on my next days off and I will let you know. thanks again