Which 9.8/9.9 O/B is best? (4 stroke, current models)

Kev

Seaman
I need a short shaft, pull start, tiller steering, four-stroke 9.8/9.9HP outboard. The motor will be used 95% in freshwater, with possible infrequent saltwater usage.

Which brand do you like best and why? I'm leaning towards either a Tohatsu or a Honda.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Kev

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Which 9.8/9.9 O/B is best? (4 stroke, current models)

Some prefer Ford, some Chebby.

They are all good engines, Kev. Go for the one that offers quality local service and support unless you want to pinch pennies now and do your own service later.

Tohatsu probably wins the price war, Honda the quality service and support war (but you have to pay a lot more for it).

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

If you need an engine immediately your stuck with the Honda. To get a Tohatsu you have to go on a waiting list and wait anywhere up to two months as they are in such short supply. d:)

Kev

Seaman

Dang, Elvin! I did not realize the Tohatsus would be so hard to get! Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like it may be waiting list time. Fortunately we have several outboards.

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Suzuki/Johnson is a good one too but it weighs even more than the Honda. If weight is an issue for you the Tohatsu wins hands down.