Finally! Some common sense from our courts.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Good to see them ruling on the law, not making it.

[colour=red]Rulings against gay marriage in Neb., Tenn.[/colour]
[colour=blue]Federal court reinstates Neb. ban; Tennessee justices want voter input[/colour]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13859516/

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Finally! Some common sense from our courts.

A positive on two points. The rationale for the ruling and the resulting ban . . .

To avert any QC bashing: I am against gay marriage for one reason: the ideal environment for child rearing is one of each, a loving mother and a loving father. If you believe that (which I strongly do), then this model should be aspired to. This does not mean that other models can not raise good kids, but society should hold the ideal in a higher position. If you also believe that the primary reason for marriage is child rearing then, again, one of each (loving versions of each) should be the officially sanctioned example.

rottenray6402

Ensign

No bashing QC, I agree that marriage should be between a man and a woman. I do feel however that gay partners need some sort civil union or something so they can realize insurance benifits and that sort of thing.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Thats' OK, however, I think the only benefit should be things like medical decisions, not necessarily financial stuff. A gay "partner" should be allowed to decide on pulling the plug, that type of thing. Not sure I agree about insurance and tax benefits, because that indicates a preference. I think the preference should be reserved for hetero marriages; they are the backbone of society and should be treated as such . . .

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

QC said:
A positive on two points. The rationale for the ruling and the resulting ban . . .

To avert any QC bashing: I am against gay marriage for one reason: the ideal environment for child rearing is one of each, a loving mother and a loving father. If you believe that (which I strongly do), then this model should be aspired to. This does not mean that other models can not raise good kids, but society should hold the ideal in a higher position. If you also believe that the primary reason for marriage is child rearing then, again, one of each (loving versions of each) should be the officially sanctioned example.

Your position doesn't make sense to me. Seeing as how gays would have to adopt due to the laws of nature, are you implying that you'd rather have a child grow up in foster care, moving from family to family, over having 2 loving male or female parents adopt them? I agree that the ideal setting for kids is man and woman, but what about those kids that just aren't that lucky? It really has nothing to do with marriage from the way I see it. Gays don't have to be married to adopt, do they?(I have no clue)

QC

Supreme Mariner

I don't recall this discussion being about adoption. I agree, I'd rather a kid without a home be with two loving males, joined in a gay union, than an abusive hetero home . . . This does not change my opinion of gay marriage.

Edit: your question also assumes that there are kids that are not being adopted due to a lack of hetero applicants . . . I don't know that to be true, I don't know that it isn't either . . .

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Those justices are homophobic bone heads.....
People are people.....
I hope they keep at it until true justice prevails....
Justice for all people.....
Not justice as construed by straight, rich, white, homophobic honkies.....
QC, consider yourself bashed anyway:devil:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Common sense? Hogwash. Irrational fear and prejudice is more like it.

Marriage is primarily for persons to contract to become a single legal entity. . . next of kin. The ability to procreate has been around for a lot longer than bluenosed bigots who condemn anything they don't want to do themselves.

The myth that children are born into and raised primarily by married heterogender couples with both parents present is as dead as the laws against unlawful cohabitation in the 21st century.

More than half of the children in this country. . .
were born out of wedlock and/or live with only one or neither of their biological parents.

Single gender couples had/have nothing to do with that and to deny them the legal right to contract for life and to have the rights of next of kin has no moral basis at all.

Nobody, not even POTUS, has offered any evidence at all that allowing same gender couples the same human and civil rights as other citizens would harm anyone. . . .ANYONE.

Fear and prejudice.

QC

Supreme Mariner

JB,

I really wish you would give my comments a little more thought, before blatantly disregarding them. I mean them literally . . . there is no fear or prejudice in my statements. I have told you over and over, I wish happiness for all decent humans. And I mean decent as referring to how people treat each other. Not in any way describing lifestyle . . .

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

If gay people want to be able to pull the plug or get the life insurance or the house it's called a living will and a will. If gays are to get health insurance then so should people living together. It should also be pointed out that if gays are allowed to get married, then bigomy should be allowed as well. Where does it stop? These whacko, left leaning judges need to be stopped. They need to follow the law, not make it.
Just my 2 cents.

cpj

Ensign

JB said:
Common sense? Hogwash. Irrational fear and prejudice is more like it.

Marriage is primarily for persons to contract to become a single legal entity. . . next of kin. The ability to procreate has been around for a lot longer than bluenosed bigots who condemn anything they don't want to do themselves.

The myth that children are born into and raised primarily by married heterogender couples with both parents present is as dead as the laws against unlawful cohabitation in the 21st century.

More than half of the children in this country. . .
were born out of wedlock and/or live with only one or neither of their biological parents.

Single gender couples had/have nothing to do with that and to deny them the legal right to contract for life and to have the rights of next of kin has no moral basis at all.

Nobody, not even POTUS, has offered any evidence at all that allowing same gender couples the same human and civil rights as other citizens would harm anyone. . . .ANYONE.

Fear and prejudice.

You say that more than half of the children are born out of wedlock. I say that number has increased (and is still on the rise) since oh lets say the 1940's. I also submit that our society has been going down hill at a rate equall to kids raised by single parents.
This Billy has to mommy's crap that the queer enablers are pushing is pure bovine excrement. And if homos want equal rights, I want (and reserve the right, by the way) to be able to discriminate against them. Yeah I am a bigot, so what? Theres no law against feelings.(yet)

JRJ

Commander

Gays can be odd, but bigots are always stupid. :love:

cpj

Ensign

Id rather be stupid than gay.

JRJ

Commander

I hope its win/win for you8)Good luck.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I hope this trend of reversing political correctness continues. I hate to see people throw their bedroom doors wide open to proove a point or two.
"Gay days at Disney World" indeed! Get a room! preferably with walls and all that rot. Do not parade your sexual preferences in my presence. For one, i could care less, and don't want my nose rubbed in all of that.
For two, To believe that it will stop with gays is naive. It will progress, as each group feels they must get their share of equal rights -- man/boy clubs or nekid church chiors will be next to parade their sexual preferences! And then I'll probably feel the need to parade with all MY homies. And no, don't ask! It's nunya.
Let's just keep that stuff out of my courtrooms too. Next, I'll have to start a class-action to allow marraiges with MY homies.:|

------------------------------------------------
From SW Florida, A proud member of iboats since March 25,2001
The old me

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Actually, QC, I gave and give your comments a lot of thought but. . . .

How have I disregarded them?

You seem to favor outlawing illegitimate child bearing, divorce, single parents raising children, etc. along with legal union of same gender families. Yes, I said families, which you claim are the backbone of our society..

Nor have you (or anyone else) presented any evidence or even a credible argument that granting human and civil rights to same gender couples would harm anyone or anything.

What law are you referring to that these activist judges are supposed to be following?? Surely not the Constitution of the United States.

Be "against" gay marriage, but don't claim that your opinion justifies "legal" discrimination.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

There was a day that people were raised and educated to look at issues through the lenses of the greater good and vote for that good even if it happened to go against our own SELF interest. It seems today that too many of us have forgotten that part of America that had, on the whole, helped to set us apart from the rest of the world.

I might add that that ethic was very Biblical. Contrary to poplular belief, PW and Rolmops, et al did not divine the ehtics that we were founded on and have largely (until now) lived by. Need I say more that that Biblical influence is fading from the American way? (very sadly and to our detriment) Blue nose bigot indeed!

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]Yep!! :%

I was wandering off topic.
Next time maybe.