Apology To Mod 1

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer
I wasn't trying to break any rules or get a way with anything. I cleaned my garage and found a repair manual for a truck I no longer own. Rather than throw it away I thought I'd give it to whomever might be able to use it. Didn't want to sell it and since it was for a truck not a boat I didn't think I would be competing with anything sold here. Sorry.

JRJ

Commander
Re: Apology To Mod 1

Foul ball, strike 1 for generosity out of bounds.<br />Good Grief :p <br />Please carry on :D

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mods,<br /><br />It doesn't happen a lot, but sometimes people give things away on this board .. that's how I got a boat!<br /><br />Last week or two someone was giving away some boat seats.<br /><br />I understand that the rules are the rules, but I guess I'm curious - if it's free, where's the problem?

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

By the way, Mr. Ladyfish, that was a nice offer.

ZmOz

Captain

This is riduclous. Mods, you should be ashamed. You edited his post with "you know the rules". Is there actually a rule that says no giving away of things for free to other members? :rolleyes: <br /><br />Mr.Ladyfish - you have nothing to apoligize for...

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

There ya go ... nothing like BS mixed in with a kind action.<br /><br />What a trip.. yet people wonder why this world is getting so 'cold'.<br /><br />sorta makes me think this site ain't so great after all.. :rolleyes: :confused: <br /><br />between this and the other BS thats been goin' on.. I'm miffed!<br /><br />keep up the good deeds Mr Ladyfish.. forget about it - its only a web site.<br /><br /> :rolleyes:

ndemge

Commander

I've noticed a lot of this happening...<br /><br />lot of times, someone asks for help on a completely non competative topic, if it's advice it's fine, but if it involves any type of physically giving something to someone, it's all against the rules.<br /><br />I do understand iboats does not want their board to become a swap shop.... that's what freecycle.org is for... but there are some things you like to offer to "family" first....<br /><br />If I had a gadget or something techie to give away, I'd like someone here to have it before a stranger.<br /><br />Here are a few examples of non-moderated offers of good will(threads I was involved in).... what's the difference?<br /><br /><br />Several People offering modems:<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=001153;p=1#000013 <br /><br />Asking for a T-shirt Screen Printer<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=001138;p=1#000002 <br />I was refered to another iboater to support his business. I made a VERY pleasent transaction with Snapper. I'm glad it wasn't poofed, cause that one saved me a bundle!

Bondo

Staff member

Stand Tall, Mr Ladyfish.... I Think it's a Noble effort......<br /><br />I guess I'd better be Careful.......<br /><br />I've lost track of the packages of Parts I've sent to other iboats members...... Ayuh,.. No Charge.....

rwise

Captain

Mr. Ladyfish<br />Can you e-mail me at (follow link in profile, remove "NOSPAM") Thanx

crab bait

Captain

YOU KNOW THE RULES..!! MR LADYFISH..!!<br /><br />no good deed goes un-punished.. <br /><br />REMEMBER THAT NEXT TIME..!!

ehenry

Commander

Seems to me that you dont need to be apologizing, MLF! MOD1 owes you one, but this is just me. Your post never said anything about selling or such. Besides that, it was a manual for a car....had nothing to do with a dadburn boat. How could that be taking any revenue away from Iboats?

JasonB

Lieutenant

You have my support Mr. LF. I understand the need for the rules, but I'm surprised that this constituted a problem.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the support guys. It's no big deal to me, I just wanted to let Mod1 know what my intentions were. Don't want to end up like poor Ray & his truck :D :D <br />Actually I'm more PO'd about having a joke post deleted yesterday. No explanation, just POOF! gone. It had that evil word "testicles" in it. <br /><br />I guess I'm high on the watch list now that I got my hand slapped twice in one day. :rolleyes:

ehenry

Commander

Yeah, that test tickle one will get it poofed every time.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate on this BB.<br />OK, is this the rule that was thought to have been abused?<br />How is trying to give away something an advertisement, chain letter, pyramid scheme, or a solicitation? <br />Or is there another user agreement that we should be given access to?<br />I am sure this topic will get locked or removed without comment but I am curious just in case I am missing the rules somewhere. If there are more rules that I should be aware of, someone please let me know.

ehenry

Commander

I was able to give a manual away on this site. It was one I no longer had a need for. I gave it to another member. Our post didnt get locked or deleted.

ZmOz

Captain

Come on mods...we know you're reading this. What, EXACTLY, is the rule that was broken? Remeber, keep treating your members like crap...no more members, no more forum, alot less sales. I order things several times a month from iboats, I'm cosidering shopping elsewhere now. :rolleyes:

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

I thought I did the right thing. At the time, it seemed to be the right decision.<br /><br />I do not recall the offer as being a gift between two iboats members. I could be wrong. It won't be the first time, or the last. We are after all human.<br /><br />As a clarification, solicitations can be free offers for goods and services. A post solely created to "offer" something, I see as a solicitation. If an offer comes up, within a post, to swap some information, a book, or a part-for free-I do not see as an issue. It happens all the time and those are not blocked or deleted. <br /><br />We have the solicitation rules so that iboats is not clogged with SPAM offers. Nobody wants that. We hope the members appreciate us trying to keep the boards as clean as possible so that we can get down to the business of sharing ideas and helping each other.<br /><br />I know Mr. Ladyfish did not mean any harm by his offer. It was a generous one. However, we do not want to give someone (trolling solicitor) the idea that they can post any offer they want to.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

First board I have ever seen a Mod respond. GOOD JOB! As for the post.........walking a fine line when it comes to interpreting the rule. I see your side of it and it's good to know for future reference but if the rule is there is should be inforced for any kind of post. Lot of us didn't see the original post so it's hard to comment on how it was written. My two cents .........probably could have handled it a better way. But as you say "It won't be the first time, or the last. We are after all human." :)