pop up killer needed

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
i'm in need of a good pop up deterent,the one provided by my isp is crap, lately i've just been bombarded with this aggravation, any advice welcomed.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: pop up killer needed

If you are using Win XP, Internet Explorer 6.0 has a popup blocker that comes with Service Pack 2.<br /><br />Other than that do a search for Panicware Pop-up Blocker. I think they have a free version.

dolluper

Captain

google has a search toolbar that includes a poofer works good for me

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Thank guys, i've downloaded the panicware pop-up blocker, so far it appears to be working.<br />If by chance the ads get around it, i'll check out the others Bondo listed, life on the net is becoming tollerable again :) :cool: :D

spratt

Lieutenant

I use the Google toolbar also, and it works WONDERFUL...also, it is free!!!

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

If you are getting lots of pop up, there is a good chance that you have spyware or adware on your computer. Download Adaware and Spyware Blaster (both freeware) and run them to get rid of the source of the problem. Blocking the pop ups isn't getting rid of the software that is downloading them for you in the first place.<br /><br />Then if you don't have a firewall download and run Zone Alarm (also freeware), to help prevent getting infected in the first place.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've also been using Google.I like it lots!No spyware in a month!No pop-ups!<br />I just can't find a decent spellcheck.

spratt

Lieutenant

Thanks, LI...I was gonna post the same exact thing!!! You beat me to it...I have seen that in action many times...adware and spyware DO create popups galore at times...Zone Alarm is good, and so is Black Ice, but I run Norton Firewall which does a really good job for me, but it is not free.<br /><br />Whatever you do, you still need to get to the source and eliminate the cause of these popups, and then the blocker will stop further stuff, but NOT the spy and ad ware stuff!!!!!

Bondo

Staff member

Fixin,<br />
I just can't find a decent spellcheck.
A year or so ago, when I got my New Dell, It came without it........<br />With the Help of the Guys here, I was turned on this This Program, It Works Great........Free lic. for personal use too... <br /><br />It works in I/Explorer.......<br />Outlook Express needed it's own S/Cer......<br />But, That's Another Story..................... ;)

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Bondo,I have that one,but it doesn't work with Firefox.If it does, I don't know how to import it over from ie.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I use Zone Alarm Pro. I'm really pleased with it. Since September it has blocked over 171,500 pop ups with 5700 of those being high rated. Took awhile to figure out which settings I needed, but it works excellent. Haven't had any more spy crap since. <br /><br />If you have that crap, good luck on getting it out. Took me several weeks of trying diffent things which none worked. Ended up having to completely restore back to original programming. Installed Zone Alarm Pro firewall and anitvirus and no more problems.<br />Good luck

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

For all you ATT Worldnet users, the popup blocker they offer for free to members works excellent. Go to member services, downloads and download it.<br /><br />Mark

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

i've downloaded spybot and Google toolbar, i ran spybot and it located tons of spyware and other undesireables, however some pop-ups still get through, though not in large quanties as before.<br />How do i get rid of the the remaining few?

dolluper

Captain

Click on tools on top of page go to internet opitions click/ delete cookies / and delete tempory files after your favorite sites you will have to open a couple of times to be back to snuff

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Just one more reason to buy a Mac.<br />I haven't had a single popup in 9 months, since I got my mac.<br /><br />The new unix based os-x does it all for you.<br /><br />Hmmmm, I wonder why Microsoft hasn't built a blocker into windows? Maybe because the windows security net leaks like a seive?<br /><br />I hope you guys all atleast consider a mac when its time to replace or upgrade your pc. They've come a long way in the last 3 years.<br /><br />Lots of mac choices out there for $500 - $900. $900 is for the laptop.<br /><br />macmini<br />emac<br />ibook<br />imac<br />powerbook<br />and so on.<br /><br />Slap me if you don't like what I say. :)