Can a kicker be mounted to the main motor?

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
Let's say you needed a kicker motor (7-9hp)and had nowhere on the transom to mount it. Could it be mounted to the main outboard (90hp with tilt/trim)? The main engine would not be used while the kicker is mounted except to steer.<br /><br />I know what you're thinking "Gee, spots was funny, I'm gonna miss him" but fear not, for I have a plan...<br /><br />If I took two pieces of steel and formed them around the 90 horse's midsection and lined them with rubber could it be tightned enough to hold the kicker (under power) without cracking the housing? Think of it like a foot tall steel belt wrapped around the outboard.<br /><br />Hmmmn...A redneck with a welder and a plan, isn't that in Revelations?<br /><br />spots

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can a kicker be mounted to the main motor?

Do you know how much exhaust housings cost? :)<br />Novel idea but I would try fashioning a bracket that fastens to the port side engine mounting bolts and provides just enough setback to mount the kicker at the correct height. If this is a trailer boat, the extra weight hanging on the 90 may cause serious damage.

gss036

Commander

I think an investment in a engine bracket to attach to the transom would be the way to go. Sure it is going to cost about $250+ but cheaper than ruining your 90. You did not give many details to work with, maybe more info would get better ideas.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

So you are going to be dragging the kicker around behind the 90, when you are using the 90?<br /><br />Good luck. Post a picture of it when you get it done, but before you try it out. It may be the last time we hear from you.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"redneck with a welder" - I sure could use a neighbor like that!<br /><br />here's an idea: two struts one end attached to the transom either side of the main engine, other end attached to the plate that the kicker is bolted to. this assembly is attached to the boat using hinges. A rail surrounds the main motor for the kicker bracket to rest on when it's deployed. The kicker assembly is lifted into the air & secured over the top of the main engine when not in use. I bet you can work out a lifting mechanism. main engine L/U will be a rudder for steering the kicker. maybe get a sledgehammer & knock the skeg off the kicker if it interferes.<br /><br />don't know about a 9hp but a 6hp 'rude weighs less than 50lbs...take it off for trailering if you suspect it'll cause damage.<br /><br />sounds like fun!

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

The boat in question is a Sea Ark ZX 180. It's my brother's boat and he kinda funny about drilling holes in it. That's why I'm trying to come up with a non-invasive procedure to mount the kicker. This boat has a double beveled transom and no aftermarket bracket will fit . This would be for use in a 10hp max lake so the main engine would not be used. I would always take it off for trailering <br /><br />jtexas- Good idea. I might be able to use the tie-down rings on the transom as mounting points (there's the hinge) and fabricate a brace that anchors into the two holes on either side of the outboard on the splashwell. It'd be one heck of a jackplate!<br /><br />spots

deeep water

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so mount it in front like a trolling moter just make a stronger mount

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Less options on the bow for mounting than the transom. Her bow rides high too. We'd have to mount the engine lower than visible from the driver's seat which would make it hard to operate not to mention if we hit a stump the motor would kick back into the hull...ouch.<br /><br />spots

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

12219.jpg
<br /><br /><br />This is a boat just like mine. As you can see a kicker bracket was mounted on the starboard transom. You didn't post a pic, but is this transom similar to yours?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

In my opinion, the brother needs to get past the drilling holes in hull issue and allow this kicker to be mounted properly and safely. The logistics of trying to operate a kicker that is mounted to the outboard would be too much of a pita. You would be hanging way over the back of the boat, it would be unlikely that you could pull the starter cord because the main motor would be in the way (electric start would solve that problem). A bracket could be built to position the kicker out beyond the outboard, but woul make it even more difficult to operate. Really, you need to fabricate a kicker mount that will accomodate the shape of the transom, and be done with it. It isn't going to kill the boat to drill four holes in it, just seal it with 3M 5200. Down the road those holes can be patched if the kicker mount was to be removed. If he is concerned about resale, he shouldn't be. Having a properly installed kicker mount is a plus, not a minus.<br /><br />The other, more obvious solution is to just go get a small tinny for that 10 horse lake and be done with it...The 10 horse lakes may not even allow a boat with a high horsepower engine on it, even though it isn't to be used. I would check that out first before making any decisions.

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

post a picture of your transom. I'll bet there really is room to mount a bracket.<br />javsam

JasonB

Lieutenant

This isn't strong enough for a 10hp, maybe a 5, but it might give you a new idea/direction. <br /><br />I hav eused one of these for years to hang a transom mount TM to the bow of my old tri-hull. Now that I've installed a real bow mount TM, I'm going to take this mount and mount it to the bottom of the swim platform on my bowrider and use the transom mount motor for those occasions I carry the bowrider out and want to do some fishing while anchored.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Still working on how to post picks but here's a link to a new SeaArk 180. They butchered the deck layout on the new models but we're focusing on the transom. See the black triangles at the corners of the transom? on the '98 ZX 180 those triangles are not there, the hull is cut on that angle. The splashwell is not recessed on ours as it is in the photo either. It also tapers forward on that angle, hence the double bevel. They did this for cornering performance. She might not outrun an Xpress, but she'll do rings around one in a stump field.<br /><br /> http://www.seaarkboats.com/models/modeldisplay.asp?model=80&t= <br /><br />Jason's right about him gettin over the holy transom, but it is his boat. I'll try to convince him again this spring. If I mocked up a kicker mount out of foamboard and showed him how it would look, maybe he'll change his mind.<br /><br />spots

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Do you mean to say that a bass boat like that, has no provision for a kicker bracket? Thought thats what fishing was all about. Have you talked to the manufacturer? And might I suggest they have some trolling motors that are 6 feet tall, and look like they have more HP than my gas kicker. Mount on the bow, and swing out of the way. One other precaution. If that lake is a 10 horse limit, you will get busted with the 90HP..running or not.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Not necessarily, we have a 10hp limit lake here where you can have a larger engine on your boat but it's gotta stay tipped up.<br />Eric

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Eric's situation is similar to ours. This lake requires you to disable your 10 plus via prop removal, fuel line removal or sparkplug removal. I posted a rant about this a while back. Their argument was to stop erosion. Ever see the wake from a 16 foot jonboat with a 9.9 at WOT? If they had just made the entire lake a no wake zone...oh wait, we're talking about the Govt. Moot point.<br /><br />Buying a new trolling motor is not an option (especially for someone else's boat) not to mention some of the more powerful units cost more than a kicker. Plus I already have a 9.5 ready to go. (I've been trying to get him to chunk that 43lb MotorGuide overboard since the day he bought the boat)<br /><br />There is enough room (non angled transom) next to the outboard for one section (foot)of a kicker mount, the other side of the mount would have to be bolted to the angled part of the transom. I checked with SeaArk, no such mount exists so we'll have to fabricate our own. Maybe we'll make a few extras and sell 'em on Ebay ;) <br /><br />spots

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I can't help but wonder if you couldn't get some 1/2 inch plate aluminum and just bolt this plate to the hull using longer bolts for the main motor. This plate would bolt on one side of the motor using the main mounting bolts, and would just extend to the side. There is no reason why it wouldn't support that little kicker. You could bolt a piece of wood over the aluminum to act as a transom for the kicker and increase rigididy. That would eliminate drilling new holes.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Not a bad idea. We WOULD have to remove the outboard, he has an engine hoist, it might reach high enough to hold up the 90... I'll run this one by him. Thanks.<br /><br />spots

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

You shouldn't need to remove the outboard. Maybe relieve the transom of the weight with a lift or a jack under the skeg, remove the two bolts on whichever side you are doing, and install the plate with longer bolts and plenty of 3m5200. The plate would go over the outboards transom mounting bracket. I can't see any reason at all to remove the motor, just would add work.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Isn't that alot of weight of weight to be swinging around on a chain? I'm just thinking about the linkages getting twisted if the weight shifts once we remove the bolts. (this motor is not hanging on the transom, if I remove the bolts, it'll fall to the ground.)<br /><br />spots