TESTING TRIGGER COIL 90 HP

TOOSTROKIN

Seaman Apprentice
ANYONE HAVE THE PROCEDURE FOR TESTING THE TRIGGER COIL ON MY 1994 SPORT JET 90 HP FORCE MOTOR.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: TESTING TRIGGER COIL 90 HP

I don't have the book, but an ohm test can give you a go/no-go diagnosis. It should read <600ohms.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br />to test the trigger<br /> #1 is brown #2 is white and #3 is violet. white/black is common.disconnect trigger leads from switch box.<br />red meter lead tobrown trigger wire and black lead to white black. should read 1100 to 1400 ohms. repeat for #'s 2 and 3.<br /> what symptoms are leading you to do a trigger test ?

TOOSTROKIN

Seaman Apprentice

SYMPTOM IS NO SPARK. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THERE IS NOT A TEST FOR THE SWITCH BOX TO DETERMINE IF IT IS BAD. I AM USING A PROCESS OF ELEMINATION TO CHECK THE COMPONETS THAT CAN BE TESTED SUCH AS THE STATOR,TRIGGER COIL AND COILS TO FIND THE FAULTY UNIT. THE STATOR AND COILS CHECKED OK SO NOW I AM NEEDING TO CHECK THE TRIGGER COIL. THANKS FOR THE INPUT. I WILL CHECK IT TODAY.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> be aware that with just an ohm meter the results can have a pass and still, on rare occasions, wont work.<br /> have you tried a spark test with the blk/yellow wire removed from the switchbox?<br />and has your unit been updated with the red stator and switchbox module adaptor ?

TOOSTROKIN

Seaman Apprentice

YES. IT DOES HAVE A RED STATOR AND THE LITTLE RECTANGLE ADDITIONAL BOX ADAPTOR THAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER INSTALLED A FEW YRS BACK. I DID TRY THE TEST WITH THE BLACK/YELLOW WIRE REMOVED. I WAS TOLD THAT WAS THE KILL CIRCUIT WIRE. STILL NO FIRE. IS THERE A WIRE THAT I CAN DISCONNECT TO TEST THE REV LIMITER?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

not on that model<br /> to test the module you will need a DVA type tester. you will look for chargecoil voltage in and pirmary, about 100VDC, out to the switch box. an easier way to test that system is with a CD-77 or equivalent meter. test all the trigger and switchbox inputs then outputs. good in no out, its a box. no in, then no sense looking at the box. you must isolate the failure. life is to simple so we sometimes have to complicate it.<br /> if its a trigger look for an open white/black trigger wire. its common to the other 3.

TOOSTROKIN

Seaman Apprentice

I TESTED THE TRIGGER COIL. HERE ARE THE RESULTS.<br />WHITE WIRE. 960 OHMS<br />VIOLET WIRE 1140 OHMS<br />BROWN WIRE 660 OHMS<br />SHOULD THEY READ ALL THE SAME?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yes they should be a lot closer than that. but that is why I use a peak reading multimeter and check the actual trigger output voltages.<br /> I wont usually condem a coil based solely on a resistance test.<br />and at least one trigger should work. probably two so if you have a total loss of spark I would keep looking.<br /> if you can get a DVA adapter for your meter they are not very expensive and will work ok for your application.