Where to find Crappy, yellow perch?

LubeDude

Admiral
I have fished for Crappy in the past, so know how to fish for them, its finding them in the hot summer months that has me stumped.<br /><br />The lakes in question are primarily mud bottom, and about 15-20' in depth. Lots of weed grouth around the edges, with plenty of floating boat docks and some downed trees. People here dont put brush piles out by there docks.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Where to find Crappy, yellow perch?

Downed trees sound good to me, just got through watching in-fisherman movie about that very thing and they were hiting em right on the trees mid summer. Let us know if it works :)

Ron G

Commander

most people around here dont fish for them in the summer,because the meat dont tast as good as they do in cold water so when you catch put on ice,we catch them bass fishing in tree tops and on steep banks.wear im out, like spots find one and the rest will follow :D

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

I know in our lake the crappie are out in the deeper part of the lake 15-20 deep sort of in a large bowl like area.<br /><br />The seem to hit the silver rapalas being trolled and live worms do real well - not so much the shiners..<br /><br />I dont usually find them near the edges of the lake.

LubeDude

Admiral

Wont be keeping them. The reason I ask is that I have a client that is going to bring along a 10 year old girl and they want her to catch some fish. Im pretty flexable as to what I fish for, so I thought I would try and put them onto some crappy or yellow perch. There are also some train tresels that go accross some deeper parts of the lake. Maybe that would be a good place to look. Im going up to that lake a week before I have the trip sceduled and figure it out.

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went Saturday and Sunday, caught about 80-100 bluegill on crickets, I used a #4 hook. Most of the time they’d hit a soon as the bait hit the water and sank about 3-4 ft next to the shore around cover(rocks, trees). :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hot summer crappie will be suspended in deeper water. Down 10-20 feet in 15-30 feet of water. Sure you can catch some 6-10 inchers in the weeds or shallow water, but the bigger ones are out in the deep.<br /><br />Sometimes they will hover over a stump or log, but often they will just be floating around out in the deep.

fireman57

Captain

Jigging around the train trestle should yield some results.

KCLOST

Commander

Crappy, yellow perch? I can't even find Normal yellow perch... :D

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by KCLOST:<br /> Crappy, yellow perch? I can't even find Normal yellow perch... :D
I cant believe someone hasnt called me a, "Crappy Yellow Perch Jerker"! :D :D :rolleyes:

Ron G

Commander

I cant help it,crappy yellow perch jerker :D :D