head gasket

force 150 fl

Seaman Apprentice
can anyone tell me if you can use quick silver perfect seal on a force 150 head gasket ? I have heard conflicting statments about using any sealing compounds on a head gasket for 150 force .thanks for any input JB

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: head gasket

It would just as easy to replace the head gasket with OEM, as it would to apply a bead of stuff.<br />I would go with the gasket. But that's just my opinion.

force 150 fl

Seaman Apprentice

Hey thanks for the input 12 footer but I am using a new head gasket . I wanted to know about using quick silver perfect seal with a new gasket . I been told it will seal any inperfections on the block side since I cant get the block planed with in in the boat . I been told by some people you cant use any sealer on a force head gasket . Thanks for the input JB

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So what kind oof imperfections are we talking about here?? Small pitting or warpage or??

i thought the head gasket was supposed to go in dry, with no gasket glue.... is this wrong...

force 150 fl

Seaman Apprentice

hey seldont thanks for the reply !the inperfections are some pitting on the block surface . I was told by someone that you should never use any gasket compound with a force head gasket . Just wanted to know if anyone ever heard anything bad about using quick silver perfect seal with a force head gasket . I was told it wont let the head gasket seal right . So I been told it ok to use and that its not ok to use . Thanks for the input ! JJB

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just my opinion and others may well differ but if I was attempting to save the cost or time on the repair I would probably try the sealer on the gasket. I think the reason everyone says no to is the OEM gasket has sealer already on it. But if you are trying to compensate for some minor pitting try it. I think the worst case scenario is you end up having to do later what you opt not to do now. I would keep an eye on the compression if I did use the sealer and opted not to have the machining done. I was told by several people that I had to rebore a Merc 85 horse due to some cylinder scoring. I opted not to and just honed and replaced rings. Got several good years from that little motor and was running great when I sold it. Hope it works well for you either way. Cheers............Seldon