88 125hp overheating at idle speed

dieselteacher

Recruit
Hello to everyone. This is my first post after searching all the posts on overheating etc. My 1988 125 hp runs great but the buzzer goes off at idle speeds. It seems to be fine if I go pedal to the metal, but in no-wake zones I overheat. I disassemble the water pump, but found it all there. There was some minor wear, but not enough in my opinion to cause this engine to overheat. I'm wondering if the temp sender is weak? Thanks everyone for this great resource.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 88 125hp overheating at idle speed

Change the impeller, takes very little wear on impeller for 125 to run hot at idle.

dieselteacher

Recruit

Thanks for your help. I changed the water pump impeller and housing and it seems to be OK. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but if you think it is...it is. :)

SSWHALER

Cadet

Dieselteacher - I'm new to this site as well - you'll find lots of great people & helpful info.. I also have the exact same year & make engine... It's a good idea to get in the habit of replacing the impeller each year - I'm amazed at how chewed up it gets over the course of a season... Also, a simple suggestion - place some silicone over the pivot pin screw at the base of the lower unit - you NEVER want to mistake it for the plug when draining the lower unit oil - I'm in the process of trying to correct that nearly fatal mistake right now... Good luck<br /><br />AO