88 Force 125 Tilt/Trim valve rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmoore101

Seaman Apprentice
Ok not to beat a dead horse but I tried to fix my tilt/trim leakdown problem and now I have parts that I can't put back together and don't appear to be anything like the ones described in the earlier $4 fix post. <br /><br />The motor is an 88' Force 125<br /><br />Here are two pictures one of the parts and one of the valvebody. I don't have any O rings just springs, ball berings, and a few washers (spacers?)<br /><br />I labled the parts and where I think they were at I just need to match them up I.E. 2A, 1B 3C ect.<br /><br /> Valve Assembly <br /><br />Any help would be great! Also should there be O-rings somewhere???

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 88 Force 125 Tilt/Trim valve rebuild?

The spacers go under the large spring. The check valves are in the part in right side of photo, probley an allen screw head. Turn the pump body over for different photo angle.

JTC7579

Cadet

lmoore101

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much for the info! I will try to put this thing back together tonight. Cool diagrams TJC!<br /><br />Clanton, I went through the other posts and I did try and remove the front snap-ring, the one you can see when the pump is on the boat and push out the assembly that way but it didn't budge. Should it come out the back to get to the o-rings and needle valve?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Loran

lmoore101

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry I meant JTC, **** dislexia! Just to confirm there should be a total of 4 ball berings? I think I only have 3 uh-oh....

clanton

Rear Admiral

It comes out in the direction of the snap ring. The best way is to remove one snap ring and try to blow out with pump pressure. Then remove the shuttle valve with needle nose plyers. Then you can push out the remaining pilot check valve. I cant help with the spring and bearing without having pump in my hand. The spacers go under the large spring. These spacers adjust the pressure.

lmoore101

Seaman Apprentice

clanton,<br />Thanks for your patience, I did a search and found a ton of other posts that you made with the exact same info. I got everything apart and I will order the seals (hopefully I can get them locally) mine looked melted.<br /><br />Thanks again and I'll report back when it is together again.

JTC7579

Cadet

You should have three small bearings and one big one. One small spring and one big one. Put the bearings/springs in the top piece first then put the valve body on and tighten the screws. If you drop the bb's into the valve body first you will only be able to trim in one direction. P.S. Most hardware stores have bearings and are usually located in the drawers where you find washers, snaprings, o-rings, etc... you can probably find a replacement for the one you lost.<br /><br />Good luck.

lmoore101

Seaman Apprentice

amazingly enough I found the bearing on the floor! I ordered the valve seats that clanton said to replace and I will replace all the o-rings on that valve assembly. Thanks for the help again. I will re-post after it is all together (I hate waiting for parts).

force01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You took apart a very touchy unit, it will probably never work right again. For $150.00 i can get you a rebuilt valve body and i would recommend resealing your complete trim and tilt unit. Between resealing and a new valve body it should put a stop to your leaking down. good luck, bret forceparts@yahoo.com

clanton

Rear Admiral

Why pay 150.00 for pump, when 99.9% of the time the leak down is only caused by a 4.00 seal. Any good mechanic should be able to disassemble and reassemble these pump. Search this board for number of DIYs that are repairing these pumps with a little help from this board.

Tandarocks

Cadet

How did the rebuild go? I have a 86'125 Force with the same problem, not sure where it is leaking from, valve body or cylinder that actually lifts the motor. When the motor is lifted it sounds like it is leaking from the one of the two cylinders, one closest to the pump. I would like to know how to rebuild and fix the problem. Thanks, Todd

vrockz

Cadet

Hi, I have a question and hope you can help. 88 Force 85 hp trim not working well and leaking down. Got the thing off off and see the c clips or snap rings, one side says Manual release. Is there a step by step guide on what to do now to check/replace the seal or seals and find these seals? I find a lot of talk about this topic but thought I may ask you for more specifics since you sound familiar with this so I don't have to put it all together and guess based on different posts. I took it apart and cleaned it out--there was a lot of residue of some kind in there and put it back but still a problem. was hoping to use the boat with this working this weekend so thought I'd try. Any help would be appreciated--if possible to email, you can email me at susand4@cox.net . Thanks V

RRitt

Captain

there is a recent post on same topic - with pictures. Its about as good as it gets. The valve body changed every 2-3 years so it's not really possible to put together a perfect diagram or parts list that suits everybody.

vrockz

Cadet

Thanks, how do i find the post with the diagrams and instructions...it's an 88 85 hp force power trim? I've read through a bunch of them and must've missed it. Can I get the valve body out now that I have the unit off the boat. I got the c clips off, that's as far as I got. Any specifics or the link would help if not too much to ask. Thanks.

RRitt

Captain

leave the top half assembled. If there is something wrong with gear plate then its just too sensitive with too many things that can go wrong. You would need new tools and you would need to learn how to use them before doing the top half and knowing that it is done correctly. So either just leave top plate well enough alone or swap out as whole valve body for new/rebuilt. The post with pictures covers bottom half. After taking out clips plug all the holes and run the pump into a bucket. Be careful not to distort the aluminum. I think about half of these home-brew repairs are going to break within 3-5 years because people will stress or distort the aluminum housing and their plug will keep popping off the end cap. Stay ahead of the crowd and don't do anything to hurt any of the metal housings. I think the post is titled "tilt trim with pictures" or something like that.

vrockz

Cadet

Thanks, since I have the lower part off already, I don't get how to take it apart now that we have the clips off. What is this bucket method? Can't seem to tap it out. How should I get this apart without damaging and putting it back on the boat or do I have to reassemble? I appreciate any feedback on this. I saw the photos, thanks.

RRitt

Captain

take the clips out and run the pump. the internal pressure will pop them out. Sometimes they just weep and push out 1/8". Other times they go flying across your shop and ricochet off something. Put the pump into a bucket or plastic bag and you won't be crawling around trying to find parts.

vrockz

Cadet

Thanks. I can't run it since I only had the lower valve body off and not the whole pump. I put it back on to use the boat today and may reattempt by removing a c clip and running it while still on the boat. Appreciate the help

Status
Not open for further replies.