anybody know what make boat this is?

jze1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi there, I bought this boat on Ebay not too long ago, Paperwork says it is a 1972 MFG.. I dont think it looks like one, the windsheild is slanted, along with the dash, and the hull seems deeper, and the seating up front is way different, compare my pic to this site that I found.. <br /> mfg site <br /> http://www.mfgboats.com/mfgb72006.jpg <br /><br /> Also, Does anyone know any good sites for older MFG boats?<br />

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: anybody know what make boat this is?

Here's a couple of pics of another 1972 MFG and it doesn't really look like the boat you have either...<br /><br /> web page <br /><br /> web page <br /><br />Huuuummm....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The MFG site you found is the only one I know of on the web that specializes in MFG's. You can also try fiberglassics.com because they handle anything old. But I tend to agree with you that the windshield style does not seem to match any in the brochures section of mfgboats.com.<br /><br />Have you searched the entire transom and interior for the manufacturers plate? They always put one in that lists the motor size, capacity, etc. It may or may not be on the transom.<br /><br />It may also be from the company that bought the molds from MFG after they closed the boat building business in the 80's. <br /><br />Regardless, it's a sharp looking tri-hull with a really nicely raked windshield.<br /><br />How the rest of the boat?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Ooops double post.

jze1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Mark42, There is a plate on the dash which has been painted over, I am going to work on cleaning it off but I plan to register it with the paperwork that came with the boat, otherwise it will be a nightmare!!! The hull is very solid but the floor was soft so I decided to gut it and it was a good thing.. Check out this part of our forums<br /><br /> http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=004450

jze1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mark42, that little boat you have is similar to my Glastron Skiflite V-142!!! Nice little boat

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Does the boat have a hull id number?<br />If so, please post it, maybe we can identify the manufacturer.<br /><br />The hull looks quite a bit like the 1971 Chrysler cathedral hull I have.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Looks kinda like the old Wellcraft Airslot I had. It also had the sponson type hull like yours. It's not a tri-hull is it?

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Upon further inspection....maybe not. Here is the Airslot hull.<br /><br />
boat2.jpg

jze1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahhh, yeah, not quite... That is a nice one! It almost looks like a Wellcraft with the raked windsheild, I dont know if wellcraft made a boat that small, but again, I have to uncover the tag which has been painted over.. Thanks for the help!

jze1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine is a Trihill, yah.. Hmmmmm, is a mystery.. Has an 85hp Suzuki on the back, 1982 dt85... Not sure if is is factory though..<br /><br />

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sooo... no hull id number?

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Just noticed that my pic was taken EXACTLY 3 years ago to the day. Funny coincidence huh?<br />Sorry, just rambling on. :p

jze1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Crap! I was out there last night sanding the floor and I completely forgot to try to get the paint off of the little panel.. I will be working on it tonight so when I get in (around 8 or so..) I will jump on and let you all know what I got! Thanks for the replies!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I agree that you should use the paperwork you have. <br /><br />Be careful with the paint removal! Some of those plates are just screen printed. Even if there are stamping marks on the plate, the "label" may be painted on. IE the label "capacity =" could be painted, but the value "6" could be stamped. <br /><br />Just something to think about.<br /><br />Good luck

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could be an early 70's Thunderbird. I believe Wellcraft was started by some ex-Thunderbird guys in the early 70's they were similiar in looks.

jze1212

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is a Bayliner... I sanded the little tag this morning, still could not tell, but I took shots with a digital and zoomed in, "Bayliner Motor Corp"<br /><br />My paperwork is for an MFG.. Going to have to do some rigging...