Charge coil resistance

ianyoung77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1990 50DETO Yamaha. According to my Clymer manual the charge coil resistance should be 368-532. I measure 190. Should I replace this coil? <br />The motor is running intermittently. I also found one of the ignition coils was high resistance so this may be the culprit, however, whilst I was looking I thought I should check everything. The other ignition coils and pulser coils were all within spec.<br />I also notice on other posts that there are additional voltage checks that can be done. My manual does not cover these at all and I can't get the original manual anymore. Should I do these checks?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Charge coil resistance

hello<br /> the charge coil output voltage is 4 volts when loaded and my book calls for a resitance of 196 ohms. the CDI output voltage is 175 volts loaded and the charge coil output is 200v loaded. however this is a spec book for the US and may not be applicable to your engine. a peak reading voltmeter is a must. compare all the input and output voltages to each other. resistance readings can sometimes be misleading

ianyoung77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Charge coil resistance

Thanks Rodbolt,<br /><br />The voltages all look pretty good. I have put them on a website if you want a look<br /><br /> Yamaha 50Hp <br /><br />I compared all 3 cylinders and they are very similar. One thing I did try was running on less than 3 cylinders and found #2 was worse than the others. Does this prove anything? For instance it will start & idle on #1 or #3 at about 1100rpm (during start advance) and not start on #2. I tried swapping plugs but this had no effect.<br /><br />I was going to do a bit more carby cleaning and try just swapping #1 & #2 carbies to see if this changed single cylinder idling.<br /><br />Ian