Yamaha 225 hp OX 66 $1000 Fuel Pump Fix

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for others who experienced problems with 2000 Yamaha 225 HP OX 66 whose fuel pump needed replacement after storage. <br /><br />I followed all Yamaha's directions in the operator and service manuals for long term storage, i.e. 6 months, and when I attempted to start engine after 6 months storage it would not start or run. <br /><br />After $1000 + fuel pump replacement it ran fine. Dealer Service Manager said this was a common problem with Yamaha as the fuel pumps froze up. Said he had many pumps, over 50, in his repair facility with the same problem and that Yamaha would only cover warranty replacements if the electrical circuit were shorted out.<br /><br />Dealer said soaking the pumps in fuel injector cleaner sometimes would free up the stuck impeller. I soaked my failed pump for 3 months to no avail. Then I cut it open to see what had caused the failure. I found the insulation on the stator had melted indicating to me excessive current draw. This failure mode, excessive current draw, should have, could have been protected / prevented by a 50 cent fuse. I found no fuse in the pump electrical circuit shown in the service manaul schematic.<br /><br />What should be / could be done to be sure this type of fuel pump failure does not occur again? <br /><br />Thanks for any help, comments or suggestions.

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha 225 hp OX 66 $1000 Fuel Pump Fix

Sounds like you have done your homework. I'm no longer with Yamaha but when I did have that dealership I found that thru customer service, with patience and determination, the customer could get some warranty on parts out of warranty if they could prove the failure was not their fault. You will need to get the customer service number and start from there. Be prepared for months of calls and letter writing. Take names of everyone you come in contact with. Hopefully you still have your fuel pump to eventually show the tech rep. Remember to not lose your cool no matter how redundant your conversations become. Eventually you may see some warranty. They don't like unhappy customers. Good luck DH

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

First thing. Fuel stablizer is cheap. Next its not a yamaha problem Its the use of electric fuel pumps. Yamaha's,Mercs and OMC's. If you let the pump sit without stablizer in the fuel its going to lock up the pump. Fuel stablizer last about 3 months only. If it sits more than that you need to retreat and run-up the engine again. What type of stablizer did you use? I have never lost a fuel pump when using Yamaha's fuel stablizer. We change about 50 pumps a year. Most people learn and they will treat there fuel the next time. We never turn a pump in for warranty for a pumps thats locked up from (turned fuel) its not Yamaha's responsiblty to treat YOUR fuel.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yep I am wiyh vinney.<br /> its your fuel. even treated fuel lkasts 3-6 months max. and just dumping in more stabil does not work. you must use or remove the fuel then try again.yamaha reeccomends draining the VST for long term storage. I drain them then cyle the pump and injectors. the reason the pump melted was cause it was stuck. the circuit protection is in the ECU. that is how the pump cyles between high and low speeds.<br /> anyway I am sorry to see you had a problem. it happens. but if I were you I would write yamaha if you followed all the recomendations and ask them to at least cover the parts.<br /> good luck and keep posting.

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the responses and advice.<br /><br />One correction to my post, the "rotor" insulation is what melted, not the stator insulator, as I indicated.<br /><br />According to my Yamaha Owners manual, P/N 18626-03-29, dated March 1988, pages 4-4 to 4-7, the following is "Recommended" when storing my 225HP EFI OX66 2 months or longer: (abbreviated to reduce post)<br />1.Fill fuel tank with fresh fuel and add 1 oz of Yamaha fuel conditioner / stabilizer per gallon of gas.<br />2. Flush cooling system and fog engine.<br />3. Lubricate and change gear oil.<br />4. Clean and spray exterior with yamaha silicone protectant.<br />5 Disconnect and remove battery.<br /><br />No where in the manual does it say not to store the engine over a certain period of time or that the conditioner is limited in its useful life. <br /><br />I did not use the Yamaha fuel conditioner but did use "Sta-Bile" fuel conditioner as per its manufacturer's recommendations. I filled fuel tank with fresh fuel. ( I have always used the Yamaha "Ring Free" additive per directions)<br /><br />In addition, I drained the vapor resevouir in which the fuel pump is submerged.<br /><br />I agree that the fuel probably congelled in the pump, locking the impeller, which in turn caused the rotor to lock and the electrical connection thru the brushes to carry excessive current which subsequently caused the insulation to melt.<br />How did the fuel get into the VST after I drained it? I suspect expansion in the tank due to ambient heat, (Stored over the summer months in Florida)refilled the VST and caused the evaporation resulting in deposits solidifying on the impeller.<br /><br />I still question the design of this fuel system which allows this failure mode, burnt up motor, given a fuse or circuit breaker could be used to protect the pump and then soaking the pump in cleaner may make the pump work again at a cost of a lot less than $1000 for a replacement pump.<br /><br />I was warned by the Yamaha service manager to never cycle the fuel pump, Turn on the engine, without first priming , manually pumping, the fuel system full to assure the VST resevoir was full of fuel to avoid overheating of the pump as the fuel was used to cool the pump. <br /><br />This now sounds to me as unnecessary as the failure, burned up pump motors, is caused by other failures modes. No where in my Yamaha operator or service manual does it mention this priming procedure.<br /><br />I'm still interested in knowing how many others may have experienced this problem before contacting Yamaha directly to ask for help. If this problem is as prevelent as indicated, I suspect I'm not the only 'Unhappy" Yamaha boater.<br /><br />Does anyone know if the newer Yamaha engines have been changed to avoid fuel pump burn out? <br /><br />A automatic resetting circuit breaker inside the pump motor seems like an easy and inexpensive solution. Maybe I'll add an external one to assure this mode of failure does not reoccur. <br /><br />Better rotor insulation with higher temperature ratings could also avoid this type of expensive failure.<br /><br />Again, any suggestions, comments or information is greatly appreciated.

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

Its not only Yamaha that has electric fuel pump failures due to the fuel turning. I do not use aftermarket products to service my customers. I use all Yamaha products right down to their waterproof grease. I have never lost a electric fuel pump when using Yamaha fuel stablizer. I infor my customers and ask certain ones to run fuel stablizer all year long. The books have alot of information but a good service department will help you keep your boat trouble free. We have two types of customers One that listen to our advice and they have turn key boating and the others that never listen and are always down and always looking to blame the manufacture.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> after you add the stabilt you have to run the motor for quite a while to brimg the treated fuel through the lines the water seperator and then fill the vst. on the flusher it may 20 min or so. or you have to drain the water seperator then drain the vapor seperator then refill the system and run it. so far I have not lost a pump do top sour gas. however today I have to lighyt off a 2000 model 250 that has been mounted and never run on a 225 edgewater. we will see how good the factory stored it.<br /> but its not a yammi problem. your car will do it to. if you dont believe it add oil to your car tank and let it sit 5 or 6 months.<br /> good luck and keep posting

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Rodbolt and Vinney,<br /><br />Thank you for your interest and responses. <br /><br />From what you tell me there is no change in the Yamaha fuel distribution system even though everyone knows this is a weak link in the motors reliability. <br /><br />I'm sure most recreation boaters must store their boats for some period of time sooner or later.<br /><br />Still seems to me a fuse or resettable circuit breaker would protect the pump from burnout after a fuel evaporation / deposit lockup and the Yamaha dealers repair groups would only get to soak the pumps to clear the deposits and remove and replace them for a lot less money than a new pump. <br /><br />If they, the Yamaha owners, are not aware of the specific fuel storage problem it will cost them a lot and the dealers and Yamaha make out by selling lots of very expensive pumps with very high labor costs to remove and replace them. Not a big incentive to get Yamaha to fix this problem?<br /><br />The Yamaha owners manuals should be more specific on limited fuel storage times even with fuel conditioner added. This information was new to me.<br /><br />Sounds to me as if you are also recommending to use only Yamaha fuel conditioner. Is this due to your belief it is better than any other conditioner in the Yamaha engines? If so, any ideas why it is better?<br /><br />I have had many other boats, inboard and outboard, and cars in which I have stored fuel for over 6 months, some with conditioner and some without it, and have never had a fuel pump problem with any of them. <br /><br />This was my first high pressure first fuel injected boat motor.<br /><br />I have been boating over 50 years and have never had an engine failure due to fuel storage problems until this one.<br /><br />My belief, For $700 the fuel pump system should be of better / more reliable design. <br /><br />Still Unhappy Boater

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I am sorry your unhappy. if it were up to me I would warrenty it. but it aint. it take maybe 10 min to isolate a bad HP pump. maybe 45 min to change it. myself I dont see why the pumps are so costly nor the o2 sensors. by the way you have serviced that one havent you?<br />what service has been done/ water pumps,t-stats etc etc.<br /> good luck and keep posting

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

The real problem is the fuel itself. Fuel today is very differernt from the fuel 10 years ago. I know its hard to swallow the price of the electric fuel pump. I agree its way to much. The customer will pass out when you tell him how much the oring for the VST/fuel chamber is. We all have to deal with the fuel of today. Thats includes the fuel the federal government mandates for our usage. If I were to guess. Fuel problems are 50% of all the service we do. We deal with this fuel everyday. I would use VP racing gas or Cam Two gas all the time if we could.

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice

Hello again iboaters, vinney and rodbolt<br /><br />After storing my OX66 225HP Yami for 6 months again using the procedures suggested to prevent fuel pump sticking problems and some new ones I decided to implement, (I removed the sediment filter bowl to prevent expansion of fuel from the tank getting into the VST and I wicked the fuel out of the VST through the drain plug hole with paper towels to assure it was thoroughly drained), I still had a stuck fuel pump after priming the engine to start it this year. <br /><br />How did I know? I installed a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve output of the high pressure pump. When turning on the key and monitoring the gauge with zero pressure I immediately shut the power / key off to prevent the fuel pump from melting again. I waited for several minutes and tried it again. Same results, no pressure. I decided to try it again and if it didn't work I was going to tear the VST down and soak the fuel pump in injector cleaner.. lo and behold on the third try the pressure came up to 35 PSI and the engine ran fine. I suspect the fresh fuel I primed into the VST finally disolved the residue which was causing the stuck pump. <br /><br />Upon storing it again this year for the summer months, I added Yamaha fuel stabilizer, Yamaha ring-free, and decided to use the best gas I could find, Amoco Premium.<br /><br />I'll let you know how it works again in October.<br /><br />BTW- how many stuck / burnt up Yamaha Fuel injector pumps have you fellas replaced in the past year?<br /><br />Still Unhappy Boater but getting better....

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

It is a very common problem. A great deal has to do with the quality of fuel available today. Thanks go to our government for this problem. Like many of the other posters I only use the Yamaha stabilizer. No real reason other than I haven't seen the problem occur while using it and have seen it often with the Stabil and other products that have been tried. Many times it is possible to save the pump by taking it out and cycling back and forth with a battery until it starts to work again. Sometimes in extreme cases even hitting it with 24 volts. The price like many marine parts seems to be excessive to replace. Many of their parts are very reasonable in comparison to OMC and Mercury. This is one where they are about in line with them.<br /> Sorry for the problem, but I would also suggest you follow up with Yamaha Service. I have seen them help a customer who is persistent and polite when I thought he was out of luck since either the warranty had expired or it was a problem due to neglect or other abuse. Many service oriented dealers would have requested warranty coverage before going the route yours did.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I eiteher use the MDR or the yamaha brand stabilizer. if the customer tells me the boat is going to sit for extended periods I take some extra steps. I tap into the engine filter and run the mercruiser EFI fogging mix. then remove the vapor seperator plug. leave the plug out at least 30 min. then I cycle the pump a few times. this oils and protects the pump. so far I havent lost one. this year I replaced maybe 15 pumps but none on my regular customers. the merc and volvo EFI motors can suffer the same fate. on the new mercs the pump is expensive and requires an act of god,congress and the ex wife being nice to access it under the portside engine mount.

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice

Hello iboaters,<br /><br />After storing my Yamaha 225 for another Florida summer and after following suggested procedures from the iboat forum, to avoid high pressure fuel pump lock up and burn up, trying to restart it again found zero pressure on the high pressure fuel gauge... <br /><br />This time the problem turned out to be an "O" ring on the adapter I used to connect the fuel pressure gauge to the VST schrader valve. I will not bore you with the many days of effort I spent thinking once again I had a stuck fuel pump....and after draining the gas from the VST and filling it with fuel injector cleaner and letting it soak for 4 days, I was about ready to pull the VST and remove the HP pump to try air pressure and voltage reversals and increased battery voltages to see if I could unstick it when I noticed the return hose on the fuel rail was moving whenever I turned on the ignition sitch. This indicated to me that the return fuel line was getting pressurized and the only way this happens is if the pump is pumping. Removing my pressure gauge and adaptor found the "O" ring in the adaptor sideways and plugging the adaptor. Removing the "O" ring and reinstalling the gauge found pressure at 36psi where it should be. Cranked the engine and it ran rough for awhile then smoothed out at a higher than normal 900rpm. Since it was dark I decided to quit while I was ahead.<br /><br />Just shows that sometimes Murphy will go to great lengths to see to it you have an unhappy boating experience.<br /><br />Engine is now running okay on the lift with a hose adaptor providing the water. I'll keep you posted on further progress.<br /><br />Thanks again for the good advice.<br /><br />unhappy boater getting better...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if you pay attention you will hear the pump whine for 2 seconds when the key is turned to the on position.<br /> glad it did not lock again.<br /> did you ever service that O2 sensor?

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> if you pay attention you will hear the pump whine for 2 seconds when the key is turned to the on position.<br /> glad it did not lock again.<br /> did you ever service that O2 sensor?

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Rodbolt,<br /><br /><br />I guess my old age is affecting my hearing or the ambient noise level is over-riding the pump whine.. I did not hear it pumping. <br /><br />I have not service the O2 sensor. Can you provide guidence for me? How about your impeller woodruff key removal tricks?<br /><br />What other 2000 Yamaha SX225 OX66 items should I beware of to assure a return to happy boating? Low pressure fuel pumps? Rebuild or replace? New ones are now $40 each...<br /><br />My engine probably has less than 300 hours total onit since new.<br /><br />Thank you again for all your guidence and assistance. Yamaha should give you an advisor of the year / millenium award.<br /><br />Unhappy boater getting better..

John from Madison CT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is an excellent thread !!<br /><br />I've added PRG Fuel Stabilizer to my fuel for 5 years in a row, and my VST Pump has never failed.<br /><br />I keep the VST tank full all winter as I thought Rodbolt said to do that awhile ago.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

john, here in the cold we use stabilizer and keep them full, in south florida for extended summer storage I reccomend draining then breifly cycling the pumps and injectors.<br /> <br /> unhappy<br /> I use a cold chiesel and catch the top of the key and drive it downward. a trick is to dull the chesiel first.<br /> you can clean the O2 sensor by soaking it in a cup with combustion chamber cleaner in it, DO NOT allow it to go any deeper than the threads or it will fail.<br /> me I just replace low pressure pumps, the billing rate is 75 an hour, if I spend 10 min a pump and 24 dollars in parts you would have a brandnew rebuilt pump with no warrenty other than it was assembled correctly.

wi1p

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Rodbolt,<br /><br />Thanks for the advice re the O2 sensor. What is it you recommend as "Combustion Chamber Cleaner" for soaking the O2 sensor? How long? How to tell if it is clean? Got the page on testing the sensor after cleaning it... thanks!<br /><br />Okay on the low pressure fuel pumps you convinced me the $40 per pump new is a good investment.<br /><br />What is the "poppet" filter? Where is it located? On the VST?<br /><br />How much are the test harnesses you recommend buying?, i.e. TPS and O2 harnesses? Any alternatives to save a few bucks?<br /><br />Found the large "O" ring on the fuel filter sediment bowl cracked in several places. Went to order a new one and the local Yami dealer said they didn't stock it and had never shown any usage for it... could this be the cause of a high speed WOT cut out with no problem on restart?? maybe sucking air into the fuel system? ( Got a replacment "O" ring from a different Yami dealer but have not been able to test it yet.<br /><br />Thanks again and again for all your guidence and suggestions.<br /><br />unhappy boater almost better..