rusty steering arm

Fred Mix

Recruit
I am in the process of purchasing a 1990 Boston Whaler with a 1990 Yamaha 150hp 25" shaft.The steering arm is very corroded. I am told I need an intermediate housing. Any suggestions? fmyachtshhi@aol.com :)

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: rusty steering arm

Fred Mix Hi Fred, If you are talking about the arm under the cowling. Its a pretty large piece of steel, 3/8 to 1/2 inch. These are noted to rust up. If the engine still turn freely its not a problem at all. I have use many items to clean and repaint these in the past. It is not likely that it will ever break as this is a very large arm moving a well greased motor. I will agree with you that it looks like hell! But as long as it is turnning the motor with out much resistance,just clean it up and repaint it. You can sand blast it pretty easaily.<br />steve

Capt Ken

Commander

They are built out of steel for a reason. Strength. Because of this, when used in salt water, they become very rusty. I hear this complaint several times a week and if I wanted to line my pockets, I could probably get away with replacing them. But bottom line, those things will probably outlast you. Very rarely have I seen one bad enough to need replacing. Anyway, if it was that bad, you'd need a shaft, not the housing.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Fred.... Ditto on the above two reply posts.

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used some stuff called POR15 on mine. Worked great!