v150 multiple issues

Arty_G

Cadet
Mariner v150 SN: 6455617<br /><br />Assuming this is a 1984 motor - Please correct me if I'm wrong...<br /><br />Motor runs great on muffs, has no upper end under load on water. I've seen many posts on this issue, but few resolutions have been posted...<br /><br />I have not yet checked the compression - I am waiting for my tester to arrive from ebay auction.<br /><br />I also have a flywheel puller, manual, and impeller kit on the way (motor also doesn't pee)<br /><br />Things I have done:<br />1. Squeezed primer bulb while under way - no help<br />2. Checked vent on fuel tank - no help<br />3. Checked voltage to battery while under load - indicates that motor is not charging battery. (does this indicate a bad stator? would this also cause my top end problem?)<br /><br />I have seen many posts suggesting carbeurator rebuilds - how big of a project is this? I have rebuilt car carbeurators with mixed success... Can anyone suggest a good kit with good adjustment instructions?<br /><br />I would like to rule out electrical issues first, as I am more comfortable replacing electrical parts than I am rebuilding fuel delivery.<br /><br />also looking for moral support that this motor IS worth the trouble and time...<br /><br />thanks in advance for any help... I WILL post my progress and final resolution.

gss036

Commander
Re: v150 multiple issues

I think you should do your compression check before throwing any money at the electrical issues. Do you have sparks at all 6 plugs?Chances are, since it is not "peeing", you may have overheated and caused some damage. Are you premixing at 50-1?<br />If you have rebuilt car carbs, this is not any diferent, float setting might be a little more critical. Fuel pump kits are only about $10-12, might be in order?

Arty_G

Cadet

Thank you for the fast response.<br /><br />I am premixing at 50:1.<br />I am going to check the spark on all cylinders.<br />What is a good gap to use on the tester?<br /><br />I will also be replacing all of the plugs... are these something I can get at Autozone?<br /><br />I am assuming that since it is not charging the battery, I am going to have to do some electrical work anyways... What are the first things to check for not charging a battery?<br /><br />Thanks again for the posts.

studlymandingo

Commander

I have an '86 Mariner 150. It's a great motor! The compression test is a must! The spark gap tester should be set at 7/16". Not charging is most likely the stator, which can also cause the top-end power loss.<br /><br />You need to fix the no-pee issue, that is a serious problem. Change the impeller, check the poppet valve and the t-stats.

Arty_G

Cadet

Thanks Studly for the quick post.<br /><br />Like I said, I am waiting for my compression tester to get here, and I will be posting the compression as soon as it does.<br /><br />I am glad to hear that I might be on the right track with the stator issues.<br /><br />I have a local starter-alternator guy that is a magician with small electric motors... I brought my starter to him, he fixed it for $30... I brought him my trim motor, he REPLACED it for less than $200... I am planning on having him test the stator for me and going from there.<br /><br />I will be replacing the impeller and water pump gaskets/o rings as soon as I get the shipment in.<br /><br />I also just read your post on Seafoam, and plan on running the 1 gal. treatment as soon as I get the motor peeing again.<br /><br />Thanks again for all of the posts - here and previous - they have been a ton of help.<br /><br />-Arty-G

Arty_G

Cadet

So today I replaced the impeller and water pump.<br /><br />I shifted into forward gear before I dropped the lower.<br /><br />I can't get the lower unit back on... it stops about 1 inch short of bolting on... any suggestions?<br /><br />Thanks

studlymandingo

Commander

Is the tube aligned with the top of the pump? Do you have the shift shaft lined up?<br /><br />Have you gotten the compression tester yet?

ronnieboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

install water tube in powerhead before installing lower unit, be sure guide tube is used on water pipe. good luck ron

Arty_G

Cadet

I will try again after work... I was trying to install with tube in top of h20 pump :rolleyes: <br /><br />It seems that the shift gear in the front of the unit is just pushing up on the shift tube, and not going into it. Can you clamp that tube somewhere so it won't push up?<br /><br />I received the compression tester yesterday, and will post compression results when I get LU back on. (still haven't received my manual yet... :confused: )<br /><br />Thanks again for the quick posts

studlymandingo

Commander

The tube on the water pump is most likely the cause of the lower unit not going up all the way. Also the shift coupling "just pushing up" is an issue, may not be aligned due to the shifter not being in the same position as the LU. You need a helper to do some holding/moving of things as you slide the LU back up.<br /><br />BTW: I sprayed Deep Creep in each of my cylinders, let it sit overnight, then ran the motor until the smoking quit and the motor warmed up and got better compression readings. Apparently there was still carbon on the rings after the Sea Foam treatment. My compression is still up several weeks later. I'll probably add the Deep Creep treatment to my regular maintainence schedule.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ArtyG, <br /><br />I have just replaced the waterpump in a 1982 V150. Assuming the water tube is lined up, there are two things that may block your LU as you bring it up. The drive shaft and the shift shaft.<br /><br />- You may need to turn the flywheel (turning clockwise) or the driveshaft (using the prop if the LU is in gear), to get the driveshaft splines to line up properly. <br /><br />- The shift shaft is a pain in the a$$ to get lined up unless the engine is sitting perfectly straight up and down. <br /><br />Here is what I did to get it aligned:<br />1) Assuming the driveshaft lines up properly, raise the LU and thread on the two nuts on the side of the leg (just get them started). Then start the long bolt that goes up through the area under the trim tab thing. <br />2) Start to raise the LU by slowly tightening the nuts and the bolt. <br />3) make sure that the speedo tube is not pushing the shift shaft out of the way as the LU is raised. Pull lightly on the speed tube where it exits the engine leg while you raise the LU.<br />4) Where the speedo tube exits the leg, you may be able to push your finger in and touch the shift shaft. Using your fingers, you may be able to hold the shift shaft in place as you raise the LU. <br /><br />You can do it with one person, but it is a lot easier with 2. <br /><br />Dan

Arty_G

Cadet

Hi Guys! Thanks for the suggestions... I can't wait to get home and try them out. I have a helper tonight too! On the agenda for this evening:<br /><br />1. Mount lower unit<br />2. Test that impeller is working<br />3. Check all cylinders for spark<br />4. Check compression on all cylinders<br />5. Run SeaFoam treatment<br />6. Check plugs and replace if needed<br />7. Check compression again<br /><br />I will post my results, and if all goes well, I will be testing on the water tomorrow.

studlymandingo

Commander

Glad to hear you have a helper, that will make it all go much more smoothly. Let us know how everything turns out!

Arty_G

Cadet

UPDATE!!<br /><br />With my excellent little helper, I was able to install the lower!<br />She (my fiancee) was able to align both the water pump, and shifter tube!<br /><br />Now the thing is pissing like crazy!<br /><br />I checked the spark on all cylinders, gapped at 7/16, and all cylinders are firing strong.<br /><br />I checked the compression on all cylinders, and got 130-135 across the board.<br /><br />I am now 10 minutes into phase 2 of the seafoam shock treatment! I had to call the fired departmant and let them know that they might be getting some calls! The smoke is ridiculious!<br /><br />I will post again tonight and let you guys know how many times I had to run the treatment through... has anyone had to do more than three? And I will put the boat in the water tomorrow after work, and hopefully will be able to get up on plane... <br /><br />Thanks for all of the help, and wish me luck<br /><br />-Art

Arty_G

Cadet

I also picked up a rectifier from Radio Shack, and plan on installing that this weekend.<br /><br />The one other thing I need to do, is replace the oil in the lower... I see the "vent" screw on the port side, but where is the "fill"? I am still waiting for my manual to arrive... (first thing ordered, last thing to get here) :mad:

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The fill is directly below the vent. Look near the bottom of the LU, towards the transom and on the same side as the vent. <br /><br />Make sure there are little seales under the vent and fill screws. They like to fall out.<br /><br />Remove the fill/drain screw first, then remove the vent to drain the old fluid. Then fill it from the bottom until is starts to dribble out of the vent. Replace the vent while holding the LU oil tube in the fill. When the vent screw is in, then remove the tube and replace the fill screw. <br /><br />Glad to hear things are working out. Good work.

studlymandingo

Commander

Great to hear!!! Also good that your fiance' isn't afraid to get a little boat goo under her nails!<br /><br />Sea Foam decarb produces a lot of smoke for sure!! After doing some work the other day, I decided to spray soam Deep Creep (sea foam in a spray can) into the cylinders and let that sit overnight. The result was as much crud out the exhaust as when I did the 1 to 1 treatment. <br /><br />Dan is right on the fill hole, should be near the front of the very bottom of the lower unit near the skeg.

phatmanmike

Captain

studly, yes, its great actually. ive used it on many of my outboards. its only 3 dollars and puts out a good strong 14 volts!<br /><br />clams canino turned me onto this lil booger many moons ago. some motors cant use them though. i know my newer 1993 v200 doesnt have one.

Arty_G

Cadet

Update!<br />After running the SeaFoam treatment, I had no improvement on hole-shot. I sucessfully replaced the oil in the lower - Does anyone know where to get new gaskets for those screws? Mine are deteriorated.<br /><br />While running the sea trials, I got the RPM guage to work. At WOT I was running at 2500 RPM. The needle didn't move. This brought me back to my origional thought that the Stator was bad. I ordered and replaced the stator, and headed back to the water yesterday.<br /><br />With my fingers crossed, I put the boat in the water, and started it up. It seemed to start better, but still had no hole shot. I broke out the Deep Creep, and sprayed a bunch in the carbs at idle... It smoked a little, but didn't seem to help.<br /><br />After fishing for a while, I tried the hole-shot agian. Still no luck. I revved the engine to WOT out of gear, and a bunch of white smoke poured from the exhaust. After about 10 seconds, I dropped it into gear, and was able to get up to 5000+ RPM @about 50 MPH.<br /><br />PROGRESS!!!<br /><br />I ran it for about 20 minutes at WOT, screaming down the lake and back, and it ran great. I was eventually able to get it to about 5300 RPM. I stopped to put the boat on the trailer (it was dark by now) and it started running a little rough, and stalling when I backed the boat up to pull onto the trailer.<br /><br />Plans:<br /><br />Run for longer at WOT to clear out residual SeaFoam and Deep Creep.<br /><br />Run on a small pony tank to see if fresh gas helps the top end.<br /><br />Re-prop. It is currently running a 23p stainless that was on it when I bought the boat 2 months ago. I also have the original 19p, and think this will help with the WOT RPM.<br /><br />Replace the seals on the lower unit oil screws - anyone know where to get these?<br /><br />Sorry for the rambling, and Thanks again for all of the help.<br /><br />-Art