Merc 125 Saltwater Idle

erikrs301

Cadet
I have an '05 Mercury 125 Saltwater that now has about 3 hrs on it, just breaking it in. It has a tendency to stall at idle no matter if it's cold or warmed up.<br /><br />Is there a simple idle adjustment to crank the idle speed up a few rpms to keep it from stalling?

MurdockJr1

Cadet
Re: Merc 125 Saltwater Idle

Take it back to the dealer I hope it is still under warranty. Sounds like it is not set up right. Good Luck

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

I'd recommend taking it back to the dealer as well. But what are the RPMs at idle once its warmed up.

erikrs301

Cadet

Idle looked to be hanging around 750-800. It idled fine for about 10 minutes straight when I flushed it in the driveway a few weeks ago.<br /><br />It is under warranty so I'll just take it back. Kinda hoping there was some simple adjustment like my old Johnson, instead of having to set up an appointment and drag it across town for a 5 minute service issue.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by erikrs301:<br /> Idle looked to be hanging around 750-800. It idled fine for about 10 minutes straight when I flushed it in the driveway a few weeks ago.<br /><br />It is under warranty so I'll just take it back. Kinda hoping there was some simple adjustment like my old Johnson, instead of having to set up an appointment and drag it across town for a 5 minute service issue.
It could be as simple as you say. Like the timing is a bit off or the idle screw needs adjustment, but with an 05' thats under warranty the safe thing is to just bring it in.<br /><br />Aside...750 RPM's sounds a bit low for running on the muffs in nuetral. This would be fine in the water. But on muffs the idle RPM will be higher due to a lack of backpressure on the exhaust. I bet the idle screw needs to be turned in a 1/2 turn or so.