Mariner 5hp blown seal?

AZVIKE

Recruit
This is a '95 5hp Mariner with very low hours. Took it out this weekend and it ran and idled fine the first 2 days. Third day, it wouldn't idle, and was difficult to restart. We we pulled out of lake, I noticed there was copious amounts of what appeared to be white lithium grease on the shaft housing and in front of the lower unit. <br /><br />Any ideas?

fastwater

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mariner 5hp blown seal?

Does it have a gear oil smell,gear oil mixed with water will look like lithium grease,but the lithium don't smell like the gear lube.

AZVIKE

Recruit

Thanks. I assume you're right about it being gear oil. I don't know about the smell, but there wouldn't be any reason I can think of for their to be be that much grease.<br />Suppose I'm looking at a lower unit rebuild?

AZVIKE

Recruit

Definitely gear oil. Also have gear oil pooling in the lower cowling under the carb. Why would that be?

Kevin W

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 70hp had major mixture issues and it was dumping gas and oil in the lower end.<br />it looked like a white greasy slop.<br />it was not lower end oil.<br />the gas evaporated ans the premix oil was left which mixed with the water to form this greasy slop.<br />it would be a very good idea to change the lower end oil just in case but i would bet its premix.<br />If you get it running right it will dissapear.

Kevin W

Petty Officer 1st Class

i should have previewed my post.<br />it is not actually dumping it in the lower end.<br />its coming out the propeller and around it.

AZVIKE

Recruit

Drained the gear oil. No evidence of water, so you might be right.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

If it's white it is almost a given that it is gear oil. Unburned fuel/oil is black.