100HP Mariner outboard, Low RPM in full throttle...help

garbrp1

Recruit
Recently I took my boat out with some friends for some water skiing. As soon as we left the marina I hit the gas and the motor got up to about 2.3k RPM, full throttle (basically a fast trolling speed). No matter how far I pushed the throttle, it wouldn't gain RPM's. The week before, the boat was working fine. This time it felt like the motor was only using 2 cylinders, and I was wondering if this could be the throttle module. Do you have any suggestions?<br /><br />Summary:<br />Mariner 1989, 100HP Oil injection Outboard Motor.<br />Engine won’t accelerate past 2,300 RPM. Max RPM= 6,000.<br />Possible thoughts, Throttle Module.<br /><br />I hope someone has an answer, id love to get this working again and possibly fix this myself.<br /><br /><br />While surfing around these forums, i found someone describing the same problem i have!! I was wondering if there was any outcome. here is a link to the forum post form this site. http://outboardrepairs.com/topics/015788.html

Laddies

Banned
Re: 100HP Mariner outboard, Low RPM in full throttle...help

It sounds like you lost 1/2 of the ign. system or 1 carb, ck it and make sure you have spark on all 4 cyl. and let us know

TenE307

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if spark plug #4 and/or #3 is clean, or you can disconnect the fuel line and it runs good. it is the cylinder check valve injector nozzle.

hhelfer

Recruit

I have the same engine and had the same problem. First time it was the stator. Replaced it, engine worked fine. Second time it was one carb. Although the first dealer said the carbs are ok it was not true. Second dealer put the boat on the trailer in the water, opened the engine so he could see into the carbs and looked into the carbs while accelerating. He saw few gasoline in one carb. Changed carb with other carb. Made test again. Problem moved with the carb. Ergo: Carb was dirty inside some tubes. He made an ultrasonic bath with that carb and everything was ok. Hope this helps.