Voltage Regulator problem? Tach?

peterpagnott

Cadet
Ok, I've actually been through this before on my boat so I think I'm not getting the problem. My tach reads high at idle and high at wot. This comes and goes. With it reading high, I metered the voltage regulators and the batteries and it all looks fine. No loose wires on the tach any other suggestions??

CaptJB

Cadet
Re: Voltage Regulator problem? Tach?

I have had a similar problem with one of my Mercury tachs. At times ( once or twice a year )it will double the RPMs displayed. I have found that if I pull the double connector off the back of the tach and spray it with WD-40 and then put in on and then back off for about 6 times it will then display correctly. It appears that my problem is caused by poor connections with the push on connector on the back of the tach.

peterpagnott

Cadet

Is it recommended to spray the tach with wd-40 or somethig similar?

Flubadub

Cadet

For years after I bought my boat new in 1988, I was plagued by a goofy tach. A couple of years ago the tach just would not settle down. Quite by accident I discovered a "dirty open" right at the multi-pin connector on the engine. I cleaned the connector, especially the grey lead for the tach. When the tach was acting up, it would read-out in multiples, 1/2 or 2 times what the actual engine speed was. Now it seems to be ok.