VRO Oil Hose Replacement

ddiebel

Seaman Apprentice
I'm going to replace the oil hose in a few weeks because it appears to be the original and I noticed signs of cracking.<br /><br />What type and size of hose should I buy?

ob

Admiral
Re: VRO Oil Hose Replacement

1/4" id OMC fuel line hose is what mine came original with.Post the engine make and hp of yours and we can get more specific on the replacement procedure.Also,this topic may be moved to the proper engine repair forum.

ddiebel

Seaman Apprentice

My engine is a 1997 Evinrude 50 SPL

ob

Admiral

Cool dmd.After lengthing and connecting the replacemet hose, leave it disconnected at the inlet of the vro pump and squeeze the reservoir primer bulb until you have solid air free oil weeping out.Might want to place the hose end into a container to perform this or it can get messy.Then connect to vro inlet.Mix oil at 50:1 in your fuel tank.Mark a line on the side of the oil reservoir exactly at the oil level line visible through plastic tank.Run engine at 50:1 premix until you can confirm oil usage from reservoir.This will keep you from possibly smoking the engine from no lubrication.May even get a no oil alarm a couple of times when initially testing after replacement.Once any air that may be in the line from replacement works through,alarms should clear.Just make sure you verify oil usage before just using straight fuel in fuel tank.Good luck.

ddiebel

Seaman Apprentice

Another question....<br /><br />Instead of mixing oil in the built in tank (26 gal.), can I use a portable 12 gallon tank to test for oil usage? If so, do I use the standard omc connection to connect to the motor?

ob

Admiral

Sure ,you can use a portable tank for the fuel/oil mix until oil consumption can be verified from oil reservoir.Just keep the fuel and oil line connections to engine as they are as if you were using the vro normally.If its oiling correctly the level will drop after a few gallons of fuel.The engine will just be running on double oil.It may smoke a bit more but that's ok.

ddiebel

Seaman Apprentice

O.K., that makes sense. Do you know how long it should take to verify consumption? Will I be able to idle it in the driveway on muffs or should I take in out in the bay?

D

DJ

You'll see oil useage well within six galllons of fuel useage.<br /><br />Use original Johnson/Evinrude clamps. Do not use worm clamps.

ddiebel

Seaman Apprentice

Will automotive fuel hose work or is it best to use oem hose? I definitly will use the oem clams.