Should my plugs be wet or dry ?

nospark1196

Seaman Apprentice
O.K. -> I just did all of the following:<br /> 1)Carb. kit w/float needle and gaskets<br /> 2) Carbs adjusted 1 1/2 turns out from<br /> a slightly seated position.<br /> 3)Seafoam in the tank and thru the carbs<br /> <br /> -> The motor, which is a '02 50hp Tracker<br /> idles fine and runs pretty darn good, <br /> exept for smoke @ start up and when I <br /> give it gas to get out of the "hole".<br /> <br /> -> When I checked the plugs this evening,<br /> they were wet w/oil&gas and they looked<br /> black.<br /><br /> == My question is----> Should they be dry?<br /> I do not want to run<br /> it too lean.<br /> (detonation)<br /><br /> Thanks,<br /> <br /> Nospark

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Should my plugs be wet or dry ?

Mine are always wet..and sometimes a little dark. They will have a bit of oil residue on them. As long as they aren't covered in aluminium or very dry and white or light tan, the manual says things are OK.

nospark1196

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Uni, but what about the smoke at start up and when I give it throttle?

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

2 Stroke ??<br />Don't worry about it.. They all smoke.. even brand new ones when cold.<br />You're trying to chuck Fuel/oil through a motor that hasn't reached running temperature and it is not fully burned. My little Suzuki Aux is pretty smokey for that first 5 minutes, but after it warms up there is nothing. Probably the same when you open it up suddenly. The fuel can't burn quick enough so it doesn't burn completely.<br />Hey.. 2002 it's a NEW motor.. Have some faith. :D

nospark1196

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, it is a 2 stroke. I appreciate the help. <br />I'll get the gas mask out for my next trip! :)