Tachometer help - brand new tach is fried

Deeps

Cadet
I recently purchased a Teleflex universal tach for my Merc 850. The original tach has not worked since I owned the boat. I installed the new tach as the instructions described. It worked fine.<br /><br />I thought I would try disconnecting the battery to make sure the motor ran fine on its own without battery power. When I disconnected the battery, the tachometer started smoking. It stopped working altogether.<br /><br />I got out my multimeter. There's 3 wires going to my tach: ground, 12V (ignition), and 'send'. The 'send' is normally supposed to have about 7 volts. However, the 'send' jumps up to 12 volts when I disconnect the battery... it returns to 7 volts when I reconnect the battery. This is all while the motor is running of course. It is the 12 volts that went to the 'send' that fried the tach.<br /><br />Is this normal? Should my 'send' jump up to 12 volts when the battery is disconnected? It kind of makes sense, because the battery is no longer being charged by the motor.<br /><br />I don't want to fry another tach... I'm wondering if something is connected incorrectly or if something is wrong with my rectifier. Maybe it's normal.<br /><br />Thanks

Mikael-Block

Seaman
Re: Tachometer help - brand new tach is fried

Hi there..<br />Dont. diconnect the battery when the is started..<br />you have probably melted your rectifier....<br />If you use the motor without battery yoiu have to disconect one of the yellow wires on the rectifier..Your tach is allso conected to the rectifier so all the power is goeing to the tach..and other electronic...<br />have a nice weekend<br />mikael

Deeps

Cadet

Thanks, I appreciate the help. Can I assume that my voltage rectifier is okay if I'm still getting 7 volts on the 'send' wire?<br /><br />How can I test my voltage rectifier to make sure it's not fried?

Deeps

Cadet

Okay, I did some tests.<br /><br />I checked for VDC on my battery:<br />without engine running: 13.5 VDC<br />with engine running: 14 VDC<br />Very slight difference, hard to tell on my cheap multimeter. There was a very slight increase when I increased the RPMs.<br /><br />on rectifier: yellow (send) wires: 6.5 VDC<br /><br />I read somewhere that if I set my multimeter to VAC, I shouldn't get any reading on the battery when the engine is running. I DID get a reading on the battery of VAC... same for running and not running. Does this sound like a bad voltage rectifier?<br /><br />Thanks