1978 merc 9.8 outboard lower cylinder problem

joe black

Recruit
my outboard is not firing on the bottom cylinder. I've put in new plugs checked the wires and the ignition coils everything is good, still the botttom cylinder does not fire. What do i do next, help !

trevorcday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1978 merc 9.8 outboard lower cylinder problem

If the coils, wires and plugs are ok and you have spark on the top but not the bottom cylinder either the trigger or the power pack is defective. You can check the resistance of the trigger or switch the leads around to see whether you can make the botoom fire rather than the top. If not then the pack is gone.

joe black

Recruit

thks to mrmerc i'm going to to give it a try. much appreciated.

joe black

Recruit

I noticed on your profile your favourite fishing spot is Rice Lake. I've been fishing Rice for 26 yrs had many great times. Small world.

livetwofish

Recruit

Need some info on the mixing ratio for a 9.8 Mercury. Seem to have lost the manual that came with it. I need to get gas and can't remember the mix ratio. Getting senile.<br />Thanks

joe black

Recruit

i generally mix at a 40:1 ratio. i think manufacturers spec might be 50:1 but i feel a little safer mixing the old girl a little richer a fouled plug is cheaper than the alternative.I'm curious what type of fishing do you do on your part of the world?