Help!! SportJet 90 - no spark

SeaRayder

Recruit
I've got no spark and the sealed 'black box' has been blamed. Anyone know where I can get a 2nd hand unit or reasonable priced new one on line. Price in Australia are shocking.<br />1996 Mercury SportJet 90hp.

trevorcday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help!! SportJet 90 - no spark

I looked on the merc electronic parts catalog and they don't show an ignition module proper in 1996. There are individual coil modules (3), a rev limiter module and a voltage regulator. E-mail me your engine serial number trevorcday@hotmail.com and a better idea of the part you need and I will try to figure something out for you.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

searaider, the small black box [2x2 inches] is a rev limiter...have been known to fail and kill ALL spark....unhook it and see if the motor starts, then you will know what part you need...but DO NOT run the boat without the rev limiter....you will end up buying a motor...

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

aren't we NOT supposed to attempt to start or run a sport jet out of the water??? due to the possibilty of gas fumes exploding in the exhaust passage and blowing the ride plate off.i did get this info at merc tech school .but i don't work on a lot of these ,and have always ran them in the lake

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

John...am assuming an on trailer [in water] start, or hose hooked to flushing adapter....you are right, lighting up a sportjet dry can cause a backfire and blow the ride plate off the bottom.....

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

so my mind isn't as shot as i thought ! :D