1980 35 h.p. impellar install?

diggerdan17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
took lower unit off, 4 bolts on bottom side and one nut on top side.undid shift linkage under water intake screen.then i could not remove lower unit completely because nut on top part of shift linkage prevented the shift linkage from sliding through the water pump.so i decided to pull the drive shaft right out so i could replace the impellar that way.this was a little awkward but managed to get it in and then i put the lower unit back on and this is where i think i screwed up.i had a very hard time lining up the copper water intake line because i had already put the lower unit on and it is very hard to see up the shaft when this way.is there something i did wrong? ...or do i just have to remove the lower unit again and try and try to get the water pipe inplace?.oh ya...after it was all back together i started engine in barrel of water and i have no water coming through the pee hole .old impellar was alittle worn and definately needed replacing but it still pum,ped water just fine.

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1980 35 h.p. impellar install?

Diggerdan.....I used the linkage access hole guide the water pipe up and in...<br /><br /> I do know that you are not supposed to pull out the driveshaft from the lower unit...I guess you have very little chance of getting it lined up in the gear when you slide it back in....

G DANE

Commander

If you lift the nut you will see it is held on shift shaft by a little nylon retainer ring, you can remove carefully with a little screwdriver or so. Now the lowerunit slides completely of.

diggerdan17

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well well.....i thought i was missing something...ty very much...that will make life so much easier!