high performance ALUMINUM boats

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
Hi all, I've been wondering for a while if there are any good high performance aluminum boats out there. Seems like all the Gucci stuff is glass. With the exception of the aluminum chambered boat, which is awesome. (Who makes that BTW?)<br /><br />Around here where the river runs seriously shallow aluminum is the right material, light and resiliant, but again, all the nice boats are glass.<br /><br />Do welded aluminum boats cost more than glass?

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: high performance ALUMINUM boats

There are a good number of quality aluminum bass boats which are capable of high speeds and they can go in fairly shallow water. Mixing high speeds with "seriously shallow" water sounds to be dangerous and expensive though. I'm not sure which chambered boat you are referring to... Please give everyone more details on what you are looking for.

Bondo

Staff member

I'd love to get My hands on 1 of those Aluminum Jet Boats they run up in the Northwest Rivers,.........<br />But,........You just Don't see them around here..........

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

This is an Aluminum Chambered Boat.<br />
home1.jpg
<br /> More Here <br /><br />I'm not looking for anything like that or anything in particular either. I was just wondering what was out there. I think for my river a flats boat or bass boat would be ideal. I'm partial to center consoles too. I'm not into doing James Bond moves but to get around up here you need to be able to carve the sandbars to give the prop and skeg enough depth to run in. My Sunsport does this well but it's glass and if I get it hung up in the sand I'm really screwed because it's too heavy to push off, even with two people. I've been there twice, once my boat my fault, once on another guy's boat. I think Aluminum boats would take the abuse better too.

davejnz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd check out Lowe and Alumacraft.They have a line of welded(Roughneck series) jon boats.They offer them in a tunnel hull package as well that can run in 6" of water.I have a Lowe 1448 modified V-bow and fish the flats/oyster bars here in the river(Intercoastal).<br />I can run in 10" all day.I agree,aluminum is the way to go for durability and ease of maintenance.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The older Grumann and Aluma Craft boats were about 12 to 14 feet round with a flat bottom rear and 20 hp would scare the pee out of most hydro racers the first time out at WOT. You could always flip the OB up, walk out the 1/4" tow line and pull it off somehow. They weighed 60# to 100# empty.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I like these two boats, thee shape of the hull suggests a pounding ride though.<br />
Invader195.jpg
<br /><br />
BayInvader.jpg
<br />They look like the same boat but one has the center console setup, which I think I'd like better for the visability.<br /><br />But where are the HOT BOATS?

Skinnywater

Commander

http://www.northriverboats.com/ <br /><br />Seriously, if I'm on plane and a snag isn't above the surface of the water I don't give it second thought. Rocks are a different matter but if there is 6-8 inches of current over them it only effects the pucker factor.<br />My NorthRiver has some very serious aluminum bracing, a very thick aluminum plate hull and continuous welds. If a weld is started, it'll run the entire length of the component welded.<br />Most "riversleds" built here in N. California, Oregon and Washington are considered custom built and handmade. These are high quality, durable and very beautiful to the eye.<br />I'm sure proud of my NorthRiver but you can find other "hotboats" by punching in Design Concepts, Jet Craft, Alumaweld and are common at the local ramp here on the Sacramento River.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

That's more like it! You understand the kind of trouble I'm looking for :D I like the NorthRiver Revenge, which model do you have?<br /><br /> I also think the HarberCraft Kingfisher is a great setup but too big for me and my needs.<br />
19.21.25.CC.05.jpg

Skinnywater

Commander

The Revenge is the entry level boat for NorthRiver, yet it has the same quality as the $60k Commander.<br />For my fishing partner and I it's plenty big enough.<br />It's very tough, practical, tows well behind the Wrangler.<br />A lot of Salmon ride in that green cooler. ;) <br />Loaded with gear and the two of us it'll do 30mph.<br />Maybe not the hot your thinking about, but in less than a foot of water, it's pretty cool.<br /><br />
063195.jpg
063194.jpg
063202.jpg

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, that's a great setup, a lot like I'd have it. Center console, bimini top and some extra seating.. maybe a windshield. Looks like a beefy hull. How many HP is that and do you have a prop or jet L.U.? What is the appendage on the Port side in the bottom picture?

Skinnywater

Commander

The center console is all welded aluminum. The battery is mounted at the bottom of it and it has a self above that. I though about a small motorcycle windshield but it isn't an issue yet. <br />It's a BF50 Honda and it's Jetready from the factory. Honda installs a special 1.1/1 primary gearset for increased torque for the jetpump. I've added a stainless steel impeller and added a jetplate between the hull and pump intake and raised the motor a quarter inch above stock. I've polished a lot of the pump internal components.<br />Most of these pictures were right after I bought it. The boxes under the front seats were full of floatation. I removed the floatation and hinged the seat platforms with latches, it's all storage now. I have a real trick anchor guide for the front now.<br />The appendage is the filler for the fuel tank. It's a NorthRiver optional 14 gallon aluminum step tank. It runs the width of the floor below the front deck and serves as the step up to the deck.<br />All the interior is painted with Zolatone, vinyl marine carpet.<br />The whole package out the door in 2002 was right at 14k. The same package right now will be closer to 16k.<br /><br />Hondon may be able to ship one to you. :cool:

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Great boat. The price sounds reasonable too for a high quality boat. Thanks for sharing! Do you see any tunnel hulls on the rivers up there?