1978 85 hp evinrude shocking the crud out of me

outrun01

Cadet
I have a 1978 evinrude 85 hp v4 . i took it out the other day and my throtle cable gave out on me , i knew it was comming lol . but i had to run the throtle from the engine while my son steered . while i was running the throtle manually i had to pull the timming lever forward too. well the motor started spitting and sputtering like it was missfiring . now when i got home i started it and it is doing the same thing . it starts fine and runns great at idle . but if i move the timming lever that connects to the stator . it will sputter and shut off .also it shocks the crap out of you when you touch it while its running . i have taken the flywheel off and taken the stator out cleanned real good and put back .it was touching the flywheel could this be causing my problem . it also shocks me at control box while running . it has never done this befor that day . no goo or greas any where around stator . looks good except where it touched and scraped , but not bad at all.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1978 85 hp evinrude shocking the crud out of me

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Open the hood and see if you snagged a wire with it. Or maybe you pinched one putting it back on. Otherwise I'd look at the stator wires and see if one of those got pinched when you reinstalled it. I'm trying to think of how the stator would be touching the flywheel. Loose screws? Anyhow, check for continuity between the laminations (frame) of the stator and each of it's leads (disconnected from the cd box). If you find any continuity there, you'll need a new stator.

outrun01

Cadet

I dont understand this, check for continuity between the laminations (frame) of the stator and each of it's leads (disconnected from the cd box). Are you speaking on the copper plate the 2 plastic things with wires are mounted to ? If 1 of them is touching the flywheel , would it cause the engine to arck/shock you when you touch it or the controle box ?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Chris....does it shock you before or after you move the timer base? The only thing moving under the flywheel is the timer base and it's leads to the packs. If the engine spits and sputters and dies after you move the timer base, it would kinda indicate a problem with the lead(s) from timer base.<br /><br />If it's a grounding problem with the stator, it would probably shock you all the time, with or without moving the timer base.<br /><br />Like Willy says....check over all the wireing coming from under the flywheel.

outrun01

Cadet

Thank you all for your help , I have figured out my problems . finnally . <br />Ok heres what i did . i crossed the yellow/black and black wires in controle box . this is why i was getting shocked . as for the reason it was spittin and sputtering when i moved the timer base is because one of the mettle pickups in the timer base was touching the flywheel when it moved . i adjusted it back a little more on the copper round thing lol and vwala . problem solved . almost sounds like i advanced the timming a little to . more responsive . quicker throttle responce . thanks a million again guys . Chris