no spark what now?

KYHunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I tested my 1978 johnson 115 ETL for the first time . I put 1 new piston , rings on all , new bearings and crankshaft. Cylinders were honed. Compression was 90 - 91- 90 - 89. It didnt sound quite right so I started pulling plug wires with it idling .When pulled : port top killed engine , port bottom idled rough , stbd. top killed engine, stbd. bottom couldn't notice much difference. I could see spark in all but the stbd. bottom it was dark so they were easy to see and feel. LOL. I'm not real familiar with the electronics on these motors and my repair manual is really vague or calls for all kinds of test equipt . I dont have, I have a multimeter . What and how do I check to be sure all cylinders are firing right? Or where do I start I dont have a spark tester , how do I check coils and power packs? Any advice greatly appreciated I'm dieing to get to the lake but want to be sure to have it running as good as possible.<br /> Thanks,<br /> Kyhunter

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: no spark what now?

You can get a spark tester at your local auto parts store for about 10 bucks. Its a good investment and takes all the guess work out of the question.