A Mamual

Paul Schultes

Recruit
Gentalmen, even the ladies, I am looking for a repair manual or even a copy of --- A 1940, Johnson Sea Horse, 5 HP. A manual will give me much better guidence then a guestameter. Please, if you have one or know of one available some place I would greatly apreciate a from that person as how to handle it.<br /><br />Paul (waterlilly)

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer
Re: A Mamual

Look on the site here....or even ebay... Picked me up a used one for under $12 ..... it is a must have but look for a good one... either from Manufac... some of them are really scarse on what is involved...if it tells you at all.

CATransplant

Admiral

JB,<br /><br />I couldn't find any manuals that covered 1940 outboards at your link. Perhaps I looked in the wrong place?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I take it back. My bad. There should be one there but isn't.<br /><br />Glenn's Marine Series published a Johnson Outboard Motor Repair and Tune Up Guide around 1969 that went back pretty far, covers some models made in the 20s.<br /><br />Johnson Motors published the Johnson Service Manual (tenth edition) in 1964 that covers every Johnny made to that time.<br /><br />I have both and they are very good. I think the Johnson one is better.<br /><br />One might find either on ebay or in a public library.<br /><br />Sorry to waste your time, and good luck. :)

CATransplant

Admiral

Johnson Motors published the Johnson Service Manual (tenth edition) in 1964 that covers every Johnny made to that time<br />====================================<br /><br />That's the one I have. It's excellent as a resource, and OK as a service manual. Its only real flaw, in my opinion, is that you do have to flip a lot of pagest to get to your model.<br /><br />Incidentally, that book is apparently now available on CD-ROM. Authorized? I don't know, but it's on eBay all the time. I just bought one, and will report on its quality when I receive it.<br /><br />iboats.com has a very limited listing of manuals, limited primarily to the Seloc series. While they're fine, in their way, they're no substitute for the factory manuals. And none go back to the 40's.