coil missing

dafox99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just replaced a coil on my '65 40 hp as the #1 cylinder was erratic. thanks to some of you guys, that fixed the problem. Runs perfect.<br /><br />But thought I'd share one story:<br /><br />After working on this for over a week, it seemed to run great on the flushette this morning and I was about to button it up and take to the lake. My wife came out and asked if it was fixed, and what was wrong. I told her I wasn't sure, but it seemed to be fixed ... a coil was missing.<br /><br />True story: She went blank for a moment while I was putting the cowl on and asked if I thought it fell off, or if someone took it.<br /><br />I started to explain, but thought better of it and told her I thought it fell off.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: coil missing

Very good! You took the path of least resistance...a wise move.<br /><br />I was out working on my '58 RDS-20 shortly after I had bought it. I was pulling the flywheel and sweating bullets since it didn't seem to want to come off.<br /><br />My wife came out and watched me for a while. Finally, the flywheel came of with a satisfying loud bang. My wife asked if I had broken it. I told her that I hoped I hadn't. That seemed to satisfy her, and she went back in the house.<br /><br />She's forever asking me, "How do you know what to do when you're working on something like that?" I can answer, sort of, but there's not a good answer to that question.

dafox99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: coil missing

Yes ... normally, all I can guarantee is that I am probably not breaking it anymore than it already is .. but don't hold me to that.