ethanol???

buddyholly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
is it safe to use 10% ethanol blend gas in a 1975 115 johnson. fresh rebuit carbs and I don't want to mess things up but the blended gas is cheaper plus the octane is 89.

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: ethanol???

I wouldnt use it. According to the service manul for my 87 40hp the (preferred) fuel is regular uhleaded with no alcohol extenders.<br /><br />go's on to say (acceptable) fuel can be no more than 10% etnanol.<br /><br />I think I remember reading some place that alcohol burns hotter than gas.<br /><br />Just for the little bit of price break I wouldnt chance it.<br /><br />Good luck

angus63

Captain

Mr Barge<br />If you have the option to avoid 10% ethanol fuel in your outboard, you should avoid it. Fine for your auto or bonfire.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The problem involves mixability. Oil doesn't mix well with alcohol. If there happens to be a bit of water in the tank (there usuallly is), the alcohol will mix with that and settle to the bottom. That doesn't have oil mixed with it and the motor will run on it until it siezes from lack of lubrication. Alcohol also harms rubber components in the fuel system, especially in motors built before the mid 1980s.

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

It's getting hard to find gas without ethanol. The corn belt States are passing laws REQUIRING 10% ethanol content. So if I gotta run it, what to do? I have old outboards from the 60's & 70's. New fuel lines? Fuel pump diaphram? Does that stuff really eat rubber? If I'm just dragging up old stuff please post a link to an informative thread. Thanks!

Joey One

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I havn't had any trouble using 10% ethanol gas in my '83 Evinrude; but you might want to rebuild the fuel pump with modern materials just to be sure.<br />Most important is to be sure to have alcahol proof<br />hoses and bulbs.<br />I bought a new Nissan 5 HP that included a tank, hose and bulb. The first time I started the motor there was no problem. Next day th motor wouldn't start. While fiddling around with the hose, I noticed that spilled fuel drops were orange in color; gasoline here is yellow. So I opened the ball check with a tie-wrap end and pumped until the yellow gasoline appeared. After several pulls the motor started. <br />After replalcing the hose and bulb with OMC parts,<br />the problem went away.