skeg

kobra4570

Recruit
I am looking at a used outboard. The skeg on a 25 hp johnson is bent slightly. The owner tells me it is made like this to correct for prop torque. Can any one tell me if this should be perfectly straight?

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: skeg

they need to be straight. a bent skeg will make the boat handle bad

eglbay

Cadet

I too am looking for way to straighten skeg with out breaking it off. Heat and bend or is it ok to just use "c" clamps and a couple of blocks to pull it back in line ???

wayne h

a broken skeg is only 100$ for the skeg and welding back on here in florida i dont know if they can be straighted but if he told u that god knows what other tales he is telling u about the motor

wayne h

u could always make him a low offer and see what he says u have nothing to lose..

RRRKKK

Cadet

If you live where I do and run the Mississippi you are going to hit something. I use a deadblow hammer with a piece of steel on the opposite side I am hitting. Go slow and it will come back if it breaks you will need to weld on a new one, no big deal!!!

kobra4570

Recruit

I calculated what it would cost to replace the skeg and added some $$ for him trying to bullcrap me and made him a low bid. After some whining he let it go for quite a bit less. I understand he had it winterized. What do I need to do so I can run it now to check it out before he cashes my postdated check!! I have a hose connecter that goes on the motor to run it out of the water. What steps and what should I look for? Thanks and excuse the rookie questions.