1991 225 looper high compression by request of DHADLEY

phatmanmike

Captain
i started this thread because of this quote from Dhadley:<br />
Myoutboards, is this the "new to you" rig? There is a very easy way to get those numbers on a 90* looper but ya gotta be careful. I might suggest you post your question as a new thread. There's a reason, trust me.<br /><br />The 85-95 numbers are what we normally see on a big bore finger ported looper. Remember, they have a huge exhaust port and fairly aggressive exhaust port timing. It doesnt mean you do or dont have a problem, just nothing unusual.
i have not check it at home myself, but the dealer here said i had 130# on all 6. motor is a 1991. <br /><br />motor COULD have been rebuilt recently, i dont know, i just got it recently. all 6 carbs have been rejetted richer on both idle and intermediate jets. also, when i removed the heads, the pistons were very clean, i could still read the part #'s on them, and the cross hatch pattern of the cylinder walls was VER VERY evident. internally, it looked either never used, or recently rebuilt. who knows, how do i tell?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1991 225 looper high compression by request of DHADLEY

So, Mike.<br /><br />What is your question??

G DANE

Commander

Take a reading yourselves before any worry, lots of folks give false numbers, without even testing. Even a fresh rebuild wont have numbers above the 100 - 110 it was designed with.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

Mikes question is "why should I be concerned with 130 comp on this engine".<br />I know Dhadley was going to elaborate on this issue.<br />Let's see what he has to say...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Did you get a chance to verify the numbers yet?

phatmanmike

Captain

going to see the boat tonight, i will do a comp test at the boat ramp and report back. 130 does sound a bit high...unless, well, you had some reasons, but first ill test and report.<br /><br />mike<br /><br />peace

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

While youre there get the numbers off the heads (both).