89 Mercury 150hp leaks from carb. when turn steering

19sterling

Recruit
Hi. I recently purchased a boat with a 89 Mercury outboard 150hp. Anyways I had it serviced and everything checked out great. I had taken it out to the water to use it, and realized the clamp holding the hose to primer bulb had popped off, and was leaking gas. I replaced it with a hose clamp, and no more leak... I happened to run out of gas on the water, removed the boat and went home. I then filled up the tank, but used a 25:1 ratio(which I was told was way too much oil). Anyhow, it seemed that after that, I noticed I was leaking oil/gas out of the cowls somewhere. I removed the covers and saw that it was coming from the carb. cover. I removed the cover off the carbs, and saw it was slowly coming out the barrels. I wiped it up and it stopped leaking. I left it there all day, no leak. I then turned the steering wheel and it caused the oil/gas to leak out the barrels again. What is causing this??? Also, I cannot start it do to it being flooded, but when I remove the spark plugs and shoot a little starting fluid down the cylinders, it fires right up. It idles perfect, and very responsive on the throttle. No bogging. So my concern obviously is the starting factor. Which i believe the leak is flooding the motor causing this starting problem... Please help me!!!! Also, I noticed that the bulb is no longer hard, when I squeeze it. It takes 2-3 squeezes to get it hard, and by then Ive got oil/gas coming out the barrels.

jason1150

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 89 Mercury 150hp leaks from carb. when turn steering

try tapping on the float bowls, maybe they are stuck, J

19sterling

Recruit
Re: 89 Mercury 150hp leaks from carb. when turn steering

would that be located on the bottom end of the carbs.?