anyone know any good shops to do a rebuild?

sony224422

Seaman
I need a rebuilt power head for a 78 johnson 115. I have a piston thats seized due to a broken ring, from lack of fuel.

I have gone to www.blackbird.com and he has told me to send the whole motor down and they can do the work in a day and send it back to me.

I haven't been able to locate someone close to me, (CT) to get this done. I would consider a new motor, but this is cheaper and the boat is a '77 grady white that i fulled restored before the motor blew.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: anyone know any good shops to do a rebuild?

cant you just buy new piston rings?

ScottG76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I need a rebuilt power head for a 78 johnson 115. I have a piston thats seized due to a broken ring, from lack of fuel.

I have gone to www.blackbird.com and he has told me to send the whole motor down and they can do the work in a day and send it back to me.

I haven't been able to locate someone close to me, (CT) to get this done. I would consider a new motor, but this is cheaper and the boat is a '77 grady white that i fulled restored before the motor blew.

Where are you in CT? There is a place in Waterford called Outboard Exchange that could do a rebuild for you. They specialize in reconditioned and rebuilt engines, so if nothing else you could trade in and get a rebuilt motor from them. Prices are around 3500 for a rebuilt motor.

sony224422

Seaman

im near old saybrook.

I would get new rings but i think i'll need a bore and new piston.

I think this guy in PA it will be around 2000. The lower unit and such is all fine.

i looked into outboard exchange, and was quoted like 3300 for a rebuild.. maybe i'll try to talk to them again.

ScottG76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

im near old saybrook.

I would get new rings but i think i'll need a bore and new piston.

I think this guy in PA it will be around 2000. The lower unit and such is all fine.

i looked into outboard exchange, and was quoted like 3300 for a rebuild.. maybe i'll try to talk to them again.

Being a 1978 engine, more things are about to go wrong with her I'm sure. I would definitely look into getting a newer engine. They're designed to run for long time, but not forever.
How is Atlantic outboard as far as prices go?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

With a book value for the engine of $400.00 and actual value of $1000.00 for a similar engine in good running condition, I would really think hard before repairing it.

sony224422

Seaman

i was qouted 2200 for a complete rebuild, which would be like a new engine to me. I have 2 lower units that are good and the electronics on the engine are good, many are new still.

Atlantic Outboard gets a big thumbs up from me, he found some gaskets for me, although I don't believe they sell or rebuild older engines.

Theres not much around here for 2200, because if i get a newer engine that means new controls and cables which i just replaced, plus, it could explode just like this one. Atleast with this engine, i know its refreshed and new, and should last another long time.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If you are willing to drive down near Philadelphia, I would do the rebuild for you. I usually only do about two a year by referral. Make it run better than new. Send private message and we'll talk.

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

can i be second in line frank ?? i have the same problem broken ring on one cylinder.still runs. just wont go no where .was thinking doing it myself fix that piston and run it till next yr then get a new motor. trade this one off.:)

ScottG76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i was qouted 2200 for a complete rebuild, which would be like a new engine to me. I have 2 lower units that are good and the electronics on the engine are good, many are new still.

Atlantic Outboard gets a big thumbs up from me, he found some gaskets for me, although I don't believe they sell or rebuild older engines.

Theres not much around here for 2200, because if i get a newer engine that means new controls and cables which i just replaced, plus, it could explode just like this one. Atleast with this engine, i know its refreshed and new, and should last another long time.

That's a good deal, granted he does a good job with it. Since you started replacing the electronics, it probably is a good idea to stay with this one.

sony224422

Seaman

he said they can do it the day they get it and they do the break in period as well. I'm not sure what they consider break in.

But it'd be 2400 for all of it, shipped back and fourth. I don't know if theres taxes or not..

he said it was a rebuilt powerhead, pistons, rings, rods, extra.

I got another qoute from another place in FL, where i don't really want to ship it to, cus im guessing it'd be like 300 more, but they do..

Thank you for your inquiry.
To rebuild your engine is a flat price $2,650.00 as long as the
crankshaft
and block are good.When we rebuild your engine we use NEW
*PISTONS
*RINGS
*WRIST PINS
*WRIST PIN BEARINGS / ROD BEARINGS
*UPPER AND LOWER CRANK-
*GASKETS
*THERMOSTAT
Our overhaul also includes.
*OVERHAUL CARBS or CLEAN ALL INJECTORS
*REPAINT POWER HEAD
*REPLACE WATER PUMP
*REPLACE LOWER UNIT OIL
*PRESSURE TEST LOWER UNIT FOR LEAKS
lube and oil any and all joint in and on motor,mounts and steering.
that also includes any and all machine work,welding,boring,honing,and
sleeving.We test run your engine,when it comes back,all you have to
do,is
put it on your boat and go.
You will be a 5 YEAR WARRANTY, 1st 2 years covers 100% and the last 3
years 50/50 on parts and labor.The warranty is transferable. A BIG
SELLING
ASSET.
We will make arrangements to have the motor picked up. You can wrap the
engine
in an old rug, strap it on a pallet,and call us for a pickup.
We pay shipping in, you pay shipping back receiving our 75% discount.
We are located in Homestead, Florida between Miami and the Florida
keys. We
own our own property and have been in business for 35 years.
Remember we are the original and largest outboard engine rebuilders in
florida,
We can guarantee a TURN-AROUND TIME AVERAGE OF 72 HOURS OR LESS

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Sony - the name of the outfit in Homestead?????

onthewater1

Recruit

does anybody have any more infomation about Custom Machine Shop or East Coast Outboards or Northwest reBuilders