Water Coming out of everywhere

Gerenj

Recruit
Hello all, I hope that you can help. I was running my '94 Johnson 120 on the earmuffs yesterday. The engine burped and then the water started spewing out the exhaust. I also noticed seepage where the lower unit meets the shaft housing (along the side), and coming out of the square plate at the base of the shaft housing (right side only), but no water coming out of the tell tale. I have not looked at the lower unit oil to check for signs of water yet, but will do that today when I get home.

What other possible points of failure do you all suspect that I can look at?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water Coming out of everywhere

sounds like you blew the seal where the water pipe goes into the head. too much pressure on the hose.

Gerenj

Recruit

That does not sound to bad. Do you recon that is a relatively easy fix to do in the driveway?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

How long did the motor run? It takes a while for the water to start out the tell tale. If it's coming out the exhaust, it's going thru the motor. You may have to blow back thru the line. I had to do that on my son's crossflow Saturday. Too much time on sandbars.

The water in the rest of the places is fine, no problem.

Gerenj

Recruit

It was running for about 5 minutes or so, and kept running fine afterwards for the minute or 2 that I was looking at it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Probably just a clogged hose. If it were overheating the alarm would have went off. Just check the alarm to make sure it's working.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

try it again, starting with the engine cold, could have just been the thermostat opening.

Gerenj

Recruit

Turns out that the exhaust seals in the lower unit were pinched when the previous owner replaced the impeller, that caused the seals to fail and a free path for the water to go out with the exhaust through the propeller

Look like I need new thermostats as well as the previous owner removed them (gave me 2 new ones in bags but they do not fit...). Would having them removed be the cause for the weak stream coming through the tell tale?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Gerenj....Cooling water is always supposed to come out of the prop in the exhaust, cooling water cools the exhaust as well. More water will flow out of the prop when you run on muffs as there is no restriction on the exhaust to push much back up out of the pressure relief. All of the other places you mentioned seeing water coming out of, doesn't sound abnormal to me. Which exahust seals are you talking about?

I'm pretty sure in 94 the tell tale was separate from any actual cooling water, it's just an indicator by-pass.

But running with no t-stats will lead to other problems, I'd get some back in there.