Mercury buzzer alarm

Hydro

Recruit
I own a hydrostream vegas with 1990 mercury 200 black max outboard. After about five to ten minutes at any speed an alarm sounds under the dash. It has gone off after a few minutes but then goes back on again. I know someone here knows what this warning is.<br />Thanks,<br />Ron

paulgp6022

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury buzzer alarm

It's either the low oil or overtemp warning. How's the telltale stream (pisser)? Is the oil tank full? Does the oil level go down as you use the boat? If not the oil pump might be failing.

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when its on, is it a continuous alarm or intermittent, <br />depending on the alarm could be a few different things activating the warning system, tell us more about the tone and we will shoot some suggestions to you<br /><br />good luck and keep us infoed

Hydro

Recruit

Thanks for the quick responces!<br />There are two oil tanks one main behind the seat which is 3/4 full and one smaller one under engine cover which is also about 3/4 full. I have<br />run about 45 gallons of gas through it since I bought it. I have only filled the main oil tank once so far. So, I am concerned that the oil pump may not be working. I have also noticed that not much water seems to come out of the rear of the engine. I'm not sure if there should be a straight stream or more like a spray. Right now its more like a dribble.

Hydro

Recruit

Also, about the alarm tone its a solid high pitch annoying Beeeeeeeep! The same beep occurs for a few seconds when you start the engine. Only once has it gone on and off without turning off the engine. It took about 5 minutes for it to go off. Then it stayed off and I pullled it out of the water and have not tried it since.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

If you are refering to the telltail..you should have a strong stream of water comming from it.<br /><br />You might have to rebuild your waterpump.<br /><br />TMD

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like waterpump time, dont forget those thermostats and pressure regulator/relief also, if you dont have one get a service manual, you can do all this stuff yourself. do tese things first and seem if the alarm goes away, could be as simple as that, keep us infoed on your progeess

Hydro

Recruit

Thanks everyone! You have reassured what I already thought was the problem. <br />Can you tell me briefly how you change a water pump? Where is the best/cheapest place to get a service manual and buy parts?

KCLOST

Commander

If it's a continuous beep, it's an overheat problem. Most likely due to a bad impeller/water pump.... If you are getting an overheat, change the water pump or at least the impeller, first.<br /><br />But TMD isn't exactly correct on the telltail (at all times), you won't see a steady stream of water until the engine block temp reaches 140-145 degrees. At that time the thermostats will open and the water flow will increase and become more steady out of the pisser. Are you referring to idle speed or full throttle, when you saw the telltail?<br />By chance do you have a temp. gauge? Just wondering ....<br /><br />To replace the water pump or impeller, I would also recommend getting a service manual... But basically it's accomplished by removing the lower unit.. At that time the pump will be exposed..<br />Do a search on water pump replacement, I bet you will get a lot of info. But do get a service manual.

trumanlake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pssst, kclost you know what i'd tell him? huh?<br />Get a water pressure gauge, you'd see right off the bat what was going on.<br />oh by the way kclost, the lake was beautiful this last weekend!<br />Later