HMO's require to translate

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
CA apparently passed a law that requires HMO's to provide translators for everyone. I also found out that Health care is a right. I didn't know that. Well, just wait, someday your business will be required to speak over 140 different languages or run the risk of being call racist and of course sued. And why can't anyone afford healthcare?????? Liberalism gone nuts.<br /><br /> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_speakers

treedancer

Commander
Re: HMO's require to translate

I think all insurance companies should be required to furnish a translator. :D

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

For English, I can't understand most of my policy. ;)

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

Instead of hmo's required to provide translators why not require residents to learn English?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Kalian:<br /> Instead of hmo's required to provide translators why not require residents to learn English?
I agree but then the tax payers would have to shoulder the educational expence. <br /><br />Doh....What am I saying.......We're gonna pay either way, education by taxes or translators by higher premiums. Must be nice not to be a national. I luuuuuuvv PC Policy. :mad: NOT

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I think that the HMO's should add a surcharge to the premiums of the plan holders that they are required to translate for. That sounds fair to me. :D

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Every business and government office that deals with people anywhere in the US should speak english only....period. Translators should be provided on a fee basis. For that matter, voting ballots should be printed in english only.....no exceptions!!

ob

Admiral

It's the international language of airway communication.So far.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Everytime I have traveled to another country for business, I have taken the time and effort to learn at the very least key or common phrases in their language. I can't believe some people actually want to live in this country and expect us to learn thier language. What really ticks me off, is that people of this country think we should do it. When I enter a business in the US and the employees are speaking a foreign language, I turn around and leave and spend my money elsewhere. Advance Auto parts.....you no longer have any of my business.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have to add that tourist trade is a different animal. If you work in an airport or a resort hotel, by all means learn several languages. International trade is something else entirely. However, an auto parts store in cincinnati Oh that has store announcements broadcast in Spanish.....that makes Americans take their business elsewhere.

Tyme2fish

Commander

When I saw that on the news last night I blew a head gasket in my brain.<br />Hey immigrants' you're in the USA now. Learn English or go home. :mad: :mad: :mad:

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by Kalian:<br /> Instead of hmo's required to provide translators why not require residents to learn English?
CA requires all kids in public schools to be taught in English only. As far as I know no other state has such a requirement. This law came about from pressure by the Hispanic community in Los Angeles. These are folks that migrated here legally, have legal status, and work hard to fit into their new country. Their kids were being taught in Spanish at public schools. The folks looked at the limited opportunities available to their kids, notice kids that finished school could not read/write English, could not go to college, could not get a job, pretty much were destine to spend their lives within a small Spanish speaking community locked into menial employment. We pressed for a law that required the public schools to teach their kids in English only.<br /><br />Teachers, the education experts (barf) claimed the kids would fail, fought the law tooth and nail. One year after it went into effect and non-English speaking kids had a year of learning via English-submersion, their test score rocketed, across the board. The real issue was that teachers here received extra pay for teaching bi-lingual classes, something the law did away with.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

English is the universal language of business, learn it. :mad: :mad: If you can’t master English, take one step back and learn American. It’s close to English but without all the proper rules. ;) :) :p

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Just HMO's? What about all the other healthcare plans?<br /><br />Translate for everybody? I see a cottage industry of agencies, probably desparate housewives, contracting with HMO's in different localities and hiring multiluingistic subcontractors....<br /><br />Maybe it's not that difficult - don't you get to be an HMO member by having a job with medical benefits?