Boat Owner-To-Be

Realgun

Commander
Re: Boat Owner-To-Be

An easy way to learn to drive a boat is get a dolly. The dolly has wheels in the front and you steer from the back. Boats steer from the back not the front. :) It steers more like a boat rather than a car. Push it around a while and you will see what I mean. You will hit walls and corners at first but soon you will get the hang of it.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Juggernaut, Welcome the the iboats community. You are in good hand here. Many questions that you post will most probably be answered by one of the iboats members.

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Whew! I knew these forums were popular but I wasn't expecting such an outpouring of helpful tips! I don't even know where to begin with replying so Ill start with towing, which seems to be a pretty important topic:<br /><br />I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7 liter V8 in it. It has a hitch reciever but I do not know the capacity since I bought the truck used. I believe the receiver is an aftermarket addition so I will have to look and see if there is a manual for it in the glove box... does anyone know of a way to tell the capacity of a receiver?<br /><br />The trailer that is coming with the boat is a trailer made for the boat I believe since it carries the same logo as the boat does. I am currently without manuals right now though since I dont have posession of the boat yet.

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by wvit100:<br /> - get a good anchor. I suffered with a crappy anchor for several years before I broke down and bought a nice one.
wvit100, What classifies an anchor as a good anchor? I looked on the iboats site and there were MANY options to choose from... What qualities should I look for?

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by cuzner:<br /> What size lake? You may want to look into getting a gps if its a large lake with lots of islands, also comes handy marking hot spots for fishing. I'm assuming all your safety eqt. is coming with the boat.
Thanks for the welcome Jim! The lakes we want to run on (that are close by) are about 3500 acres or less. I dont know if that is classified as a small or medium lake but I doubt it would be considered a large lake. The boat does include all of the required coast guard gear... I checked on that.

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by bounder4465:<br /> Welcome Jugger, There is a mild illness some contract after buying a boat.."BE". Trailer Boats magazine did an article last year on "BE", BOAT ENVY. Symptoms:<br /> <br />1. Never be satisified with what you have.<br />2. The more you spend the better time you will have.<br />3. Always belittle or look down on a boat doing the same thing your boat is doing that cost less to purchase.<br /><br /> If your friend's boat fills your need, and it is in your budget, buy and enjoy. You will find the same powertrain available in all makes...the rest is just show if the boat is cared for.
Bounder, Thanks for the chuckle! I must admit that I was concerned when I read some of the negative remarks about the Bayliner brand but I have come to the conclusion that to get the size and power that I need in a boat for my family this is the best option for me and my budget. My thoughts on BE are the same as my thoughts on all kinds of envy... there will always be someone with a bigger boat :D I wont put myself in the poor house trying to keep up with people who obviously have more disposable income than myself ;)

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by Jack L:<br /> Juggernaut,<br /><br />When you look at tools, make sure you have a voltmeter with you. A cheap one is fine. I found one for $10 at my local ACE hardware store
Duly noted Jack L, thank you for the suggestion!

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by SoLittle:<br /> Don't forget marine insurance. <br /><br />You did not mention whether or not you would be towing this boat. If so make sure that your tow vehicle can handle it. AND thoroughly check out the trailer including tires and trailer brakes.<br /><br />Oh - - - and potential congratulations.
Thanks SoLittle, I have my insurance agent preparing a quote for me right now.

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by Northern Eclipse:<br /> Jug If you intend to buy this boat I would suggest you set some money aside ( 500-700 ) and do the following . have drive pulled and inspect and lubricate u-joints gimble bearing and coupler, install all new bellows and impeller kit, be sure bilge pump and blower is working, change engine oil and filter and any fuel filters including water seperator filter and have batteries load checked and be sure they are up to snuff. A boat that is 6 years old with little use needs the same attention has a 10 year well used boat. The above is recommended service at this point in time, a little spend now can save you large later and also sets a benchmark for future service. Nothing can spoil the boating experience more than a poorly maintained problem boat that spends all your fun time and money on the trailer and in the shop. Have fun put a little care and maintenance first and enjoy boating, thats what its all about, Welcome to boating and iboats.
Northern Eclipse, Thank you for the welcome and the advice. That sounds like alot of work for only 500-700 dollars! I am going to have to check with the mechanic that will be servicing the boat. I plan on using the same mechanic that the current owner uses because he will already know the boat and because he seems to have kept the engine in good 'looking' condition. If necessary do you think that this is something that could wait until next Spring? I only ask because I have alot of stuff to buy and am trying to prioritize things.

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by Realgun:<br /> An easy way to learn to drive a boat is get a dolly. The dolly has wheels in the front and you steer from the back. Boats steer from the back not the front. :) It steers more like a boat rather than a car. Push it around a while and you will see what I mean. You will hit walls and corners at first but soon you will get the hang of it.
Realgun, do you mean a dolly like a pallet jack? I have had lots of experience driving those when I was younger!

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Also, another question I have is about boat names. The current owner says he named the boat when he got it but never got any lettering and can't even remember the name now. Do the laws of the ocean still stand as far as renaming the boat?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Do a search on "renaming a boat".<br />There are very strict rules tha must be followed to keep the boating gods happy.<br /><br />Legally, if your boat is registered with the state DNR, you can name your boat anything you want. If your boat is "Documented" for use in international water, then you have rules.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Juggernaut:<br /> I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7 liter V8 in it. It has a hitch reciever but I do not know the capacity since I bought the truck used. I believe the receiver is an aftermarket addition so I will have to look and see if there is a manual for it in the glove box... does anyone know of a way to tell the capacity of a receiver?
Need more info on this. http://www.trailerlife.com will give you the ratings, but you need to know:<br />1. 2WD or 4WD?<br />2. Standard cab or extended cab.<br />3. Manual transmission or automatic transmission.<br />4. Gear ratio in the differential.<br /><br />They show it to be anywhere from 4300# to 7700# depending on configuration. (BTW - auto transmission gives more towing capacity).<br /><br />As for the receiver, it is probably a class 3 rated for 5000# as that is common, but I am just guessing. If you go to a trailer place they can tell you.<br /><br />Let us know, and if you get an answer on the weight of the boat let us know that too. Doesn't hurt to take it to a truck scale and have it weighted with all the gear on board and fully fueled.

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Jack L, I can answer three of the four questions:<br /><br />1. 2WD<br />2. Standard Cab<br />3. Automatic Transmission<br /><br />I will look in the manual for the answer to question 4. I wont be able to weigh the boat until I take posession of it unfortunately.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jug You are doing the right thing by having the boat checked out most of what I suggest is routine maintenance, the U-joint Bellow and shift cable bellow should be replaced if they are original its the number one cause if sterndrive boats sinking therefore I would do at least that now plus if u-joint bellow leaks it can trash a good gimble bearing and u-joints which will cost more in the end plus boating is not cheap it does require set amount of maintenance money, for myself I know I need about a $1000 a year for insurance and storage and annual maintenace that about the minimum for me, all I'm saying is be prepared to spend 500-700 at the least. Since we are not sure on the depth of your boat knowledge its just a heads up suggestion so has your first boat experience is good. I give this information based on several years of owning operating and wrenching my own boats and getting good advice and teachings from other seasoned owners also. Boating requires you to be knowledged which I'm glad to read your open to seeking that knowledge its all part of the boating expericence, just one more thing "Don't Forget the Plug" enjoy.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Juggernaut,<br /><br />Looks like the rating is 6700# or 7700# depending on the rear end.<br /><br />As for weight of the boat, try going to the bayliner website and get the owners manual at http://www.bayliner.com/manuals.asp. They might be able to give you the weight of the boat and the trailer.

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Northern Eclipse,<br /><br />I will definitely take your suggestions to heart and will ask the mechanic to inspect those areas you mentioned (I will have to print out your words and give them to him because my boating knowledge at this point is nil) and if they need replacing I will have him replace them. I do have some money to spend on the boat but I dont have TOO much :) <br /><br />Also, I see towables that hold two or three people, do you think I could pull two to three adults at the same time with this boat? <br /><br />What part of Toronto are you from? The company I work for (Volvo) has an office in Aurora that I visit about once a year.

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

Jack L,<br /><br />I went to Dodge's website and the 2005 Ram equipped like mine will tow 7700# according to their calculator so you are right on the money. I will need to take the truck somewhere to make sure that the receiver will handle the load... dont want to buy a new boat and have it sail on down the highway without me! I have sent a request in at the Bayliner site for a manual since my year and model were not available on the page. Thanks for all of your help!

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I actually live about 25 miles west of Toronto in Oakville, Aurora is not far, I work downtown Toronto, looks like you got enough tow vehicle, Hopefully this boat will only cost you an inspection, but since the owner is getting out of boating , are you able to aquire all the gear with it, you know pfds anchors fenders spare prop, cause man I gotta agree with you it really adds up fast, Hang in there Jugs you'll get over the shock soon and we'll help were we can.

Juggernaut

Seaman Apprentice

NE, I am getting the boat, the trailer, his water skis, and whatever else happens to be in it when I pull it out of his barn :)