Water in the intake

Erico624

Seaman
Did you check the Heads for Warpage, and Resurface if necessary?

The entire Gasket is not Rubber/neoprene/Silicone, it is usually Plastic, with Rubber/neoprene/Silicone Rings around any Ports.
If the Block-Heads were machined, then Holes in the Gasket may no longer match the Ports on the Intake.

An Acquaintance acquired a Boat and Motor, as part of a Trade. "Runs Great!", he was told. He was convinced he needed Head Gaskets, even after I took this Pic. Actually he did need new Gaskets, as well as a new Block and Heads
Since you have the motor out of the Boat, I agree with Scott, that it has to come apart for a very thorough Inspection.
So if nothing found would need to buy the whole gasket kit again?

Erico624

Seaman
What does that mean?

Ayuh,..... Were the heads, 'n block magnafluxed to look for cracks,..??
nvm i googled it. Magnetic check of the block. I stripped the block down to nothing didn't see any cracks rust. Looked pretty solid. Its a 880 block stamp. Marine Heads best ones where solid i looked them over before rebuild no cracks.

Bondo

Staff member
nvm i googled it. Magnetic check of the block. I stripped the block down to nothing didn't see any cracks rust. Looked pretty solid. Its a 880 block stamp. Marine Heads best ones where solid i looked them over before rebuild no cracks.
Ayuh,..... I've seen cracks that only showed after magnafluxing, but hopefully, you got lucky,.....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I heard a very noticeable miss while it was running in addition to the wobbly coupler

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Gaskets appear suspect. How many Bolts did you remove from the Intake, when you pulled it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
gasket looks fine. looks like vortec intake gasket.

the heat exchanger is only a half system, so the manifolds would only last a few years in salt water.

post a pic of the manifold to riser joint.

Erico624

Seaman
gasket looks fine. looks like vortec intake gasket.

the heat exchanger is only a half system, so the manifolds would only last a few years in salt water.

post a pic of the manifold to riser joint.

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (5).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (5).jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 7

Erico624

Seaman
You gotta replace the Coupler, it is really wobbling badly
What kind of Machining was done to the Heads/Block?
Who put the Engine together?
I just put the coupler on. Its from the old boat. getting a new one.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Your Vortec gaskets look fine but I am wondering if you have rust or pitting on the sealing surfaces of the cyl heads and the intake. Any pix of those?
I had to spend a lot of time cleaning up the sealing surfaces of my old intake. Actually bought a spare one because mine has been used in salt water 20 years. I'm going to check the old one when I winterize the boat, if there is any doubt about its condition I will change it now.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull the elbow. look at the joint faces. not the outside of it.

you are in troubleshooting mode. you have about a day to clean that water out of the motor and either have the motor running, or need to flush all the surfaces with alcohol then oil until you get it running.

Erico624

Seaman

you are in troubleshooting mode. you have about a day to clean that water out of the motor and either have the motor running, or need to flush all the surfaces with alcohol then oil until you get it running.
What do you mean by joint faces?

Erico624

Seaman

Attachments

• IMG_5677.jpeg
    IMG_5677.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5676.jpeg
    IMG_5676.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5675.jpeg
    IMG_5675.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9