Lieutenant Commander
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

076920.jpg
<br /><br />
076921.jpg

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Whats CK building again?????<br /><br />I've decided that I'll just use the dink method when buying wood.... Buy about 5 more then what it calls for...<br /><br />Did find a different motor... one a bit closer....

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

wow, page 5.....<br /><br />We might be able to give the cricket commentary on Dock Side Chat a run for their money!

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

LOL lark.... I was thinking that earlier wonderin how many pages this could get up too. Sad part is someon would need mucho time to read all of the pages cause I find it difficult for someone to drop in the middle and actually understand what were talkin about. :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

methinks calico kid has some calm waters and steady balance in his future. If i'm not mistaken, my studies would lead me to believe he's building a Dug. :D <br /><br />Dave what size of motor?<br /><br />P.S. I'm gonna be in KC next tuesday and wednesday. You wouldnt mind delivering that new motor there would ya? :D j/k<br /><br />I was driving this afternoon and reloading page 4 a lot and couldnt figure out why noone was posting :D Didn't know we had a page 5 in full gear. Was getting tired of scrolling through page 4 :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

It's a 61' 40hp Lark. Little more $$$ but will save when it's done and over with, considering this ones 2.5 hours north instead of 14 hours south :D <br /><br />
aa_1_b.JPG

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

you'll be in KC huh?... not comming from Spur texas by chance are ya????

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol nope... have a friend in Houston that will be coming through KC in a month or two, but Spur is a fair bit out of the way unfortunately or I'd ask him to pick it up for ya.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

lol... If I could find someone who wants it...... ya ya ya.. <br /><br />How's work??? figure out what the next build is?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

still trying to decide on next project. Work is good... I'm going to be in syracuse in the morning ready to work by wed morning :D then I get to go home. I had a live webcam feed from the dash of the car going earlier :) went by two accidents that had just happened and noone was watching :( I'll start a new project shortly... in the mean time i'm shopping for motors myself... I need a 15 hp. Considering spending more than planned so I can just latch it on and go on the minimax. I'm already wanting more speed :)

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I look at it this way... If ya ever wanted to put it on something else...might as well make it worth buyin the motor. Paid more for it but also have delt with the seller before on a few other things and have been very happy with him so far. He's got a bunch of motors.... but also right on the NE,SD,IA border... Almost scared to go up there... Just don't know what else I'll come back with :D

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BIG TWINS ROCK!!!!!<br /><br />Love the syle of those model motors. I think the curved lines of the cowl are really cool!<br /><br />They are super quiet as well, but being a pre 64 motor, you will need to run 24:1 oil ratio. Any ignition problems are easy to fix(chances are the coils will be cracked). Just do a search on the johnnyrude forum.<br /><br />Well done on that purchase.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

36f here right now. Resin not curing. Still more than CPJ's got! mlm :p mlm

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Calico.... did you use the 50:50 resin hardener mixture highly reccomended by none other than myself? oh and anyone who's got some thin lumber in their garage has more than captain pansey boy. :D Feel the pressure yet cpj?<br /><br />Dave while your up there, see what he has along the lines of something between 15 & 20 hp. I'm sure in my travels I'll be by his way sometime anyway. :)the more reading I do on the minimax I've even seen mentioned of people putting up to 35 hp motors on them... thats nuts... but I like to hear that cause it makes me less scared to go with a 10 - 18 hp. I want 15 hp for the max but I want a 20 to 25 for future projects sooooooo I'll look for a 18 hp which should offer all alround versatility. :D <br /><br /><br />hey come view my travel cam... Wimpeldink on yahoo messanger. :)

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Just wait till you see my bill o materials. I'm not going to share any trade secrets until I see this thing float and get my patent applications in lol. It's 60F in the garage right now so I better get to it!

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

You're using the term 'building' pretty loosely I assure you. :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol from your statements calico I have to believe your not using traditional assembly methods. I should warn you that your mixture of, eye of newt, sycamore roots, and orangatang boogers, may hold but will most certianly not be water proof. Oops I'm soo sorry, I knew I wasnt sposed to let go of your secret but my back space key doesnt work. :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh and I was looking again at that dug, and the pics of ones the other people built, and I've got a few ideas of my own. I'm just trying to decide between the ultimater prism and the dug modified with a top on it to keep water from coming over the sides on a slight roll, for a paddle craft for my wife. I'd also shorten it a fair bit on the ends to make transporting it easier. Since only 10 foot of it actually touches the water, no need for the extra 8 feet of above water length & weight. I'm also thinking two bumpers bolted in the middle top of the outside (one on each side) will help to keep it from tipping over in practical use.<br /><br />I feel no need to keep my ideas secret can ya tell? :D

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

lol! My old guy neighbor came over to see what was going on and he saw my "project" and laughed and laughed. After he wiped the tears away he threw in a hand and helped hold the seams together while I fastened the sheets to the form. Then he laughed some more. I offered him the test pilot job and he got quiet real quick.<br /><br />He laughed at me when I was making cast concrete countertops out there too until I asked him if he'd be around on the day we were to carry them inside.<br /><br />Boogers aye? You're right they may be good eating but have no place in boat "building". :D